OCHA Afghanistan Digital Situation Report (external link) EN
Appeals & Response Plans
Headlines (last 30 days)
- UNAMA: Civilian casualties in Afghanistan spike to record-high levels. 19 Oct 2019
- NRC: Pakistani refugees have nowhere to call home as aid is cut. 15 Oct 2019
Most read reports
- OCHA: Afghanistan: Weekly Humanitarian Update (4 – 10 November 2019). 13 Nov 2019
- Save the Children: 18 years of conflict: Every single Afghan child affected by war. 7 Oct 2019
- UNAMA: UNAMA’S strict impartiality in support of election process. 13 Nov 2019
- OSRSG Children and Armed Conflict: Afghanistan: Spiral of Violence Gives No Rest to Children, Still the Most Impacted by War. 2 Oct 2019
- UNHCR: UNHCR Afghanistan Operational Update - September 2019. 12 Nov 2019
International prices of wheat and maize were generally firmer in January, supported by weather-related concerns and a weaker US dollar. Export price quotations of rice also strengthened mainly buoyed by renewed Asian demand.
In East Africa, in the Sudan, prices of the main staples: sorghum, millet and wheat, rose sharply for the third consecutive month in January and reached record highs, underpinned by the removal of wheat subsidies and the strong depreciation of the Sudanese Pound.
↗ International prices of wheat and maize remained relatively stable in November, reflecting good supply conditions, while export quotations of rice strengthened amid increased buying interest and currency movements.
The benchmark US wheat price declined in October mostly because of higher supply prospects while maize quotations firmed due to rain-induced harvest delays. International rice prices strengthened in October, mainly reflecting seasonally tight Japonica and fragrant supplies.
International prices of wheat increased in September mostly because of weather-related concerns, while maize quotations fell further on crop harvest pressure. International rice prices remained generally firm, supported by seasonally tight availabilities of fragrant rice and strong demand for higher quality Indica supplies.