Appeals & Response Plans
Headlines (last 30 days)
- DFID: More than five million Afghans will receive emergency life-saving UK aid. 17 Jun 2019
- UNICEF: Afghanistan sees three-fold increase in attacks on schools in one year – UNICEF. 28 May 2019
- UN News: About 600,000 Afghan children face death from malnutrition without emergency funds. 24 May 2019
- IOM: A third of Afghans have migrated or been displaced since 2012: IOM. 21 May 2019
Most read reports
- OCHA: Afghanistan: Snapshot of Population Movements (Jan to May 2019)(As of 17 June 2019). 18 Jun 2019
- DFID: Over five million Afghans to receive emergency life-saving UK aid. 17 Jun 2019
- UN GA: The situation in Afghanistan and its implications for international peace and security - Report of the Secretary General (A/73/902–S/2019/493). 18 Jun 2019
- USAID: Catalyzing Afghan Agricultural Innovation, May 2018 - May 2023. 17 Jun 2019
- ACLED: ACLED Regional Overview – Asia (18 June 2019). 18 Jun 2019
For Immediate Release
Monday, August 20, 2018 Office of Press Relations
Telephone: +1.202.712.4320 | Email: email@example.com
Center for Strategic and International Studies
August 20, 2018
ADMINISTRATOR GREEN: Good morning, everyone. Thank you, Dan, for that kind introduction and thanks to all of you for being here to help mark this very important occasion.
Highlights from this issue:
Do improvements in child survival lead to population growth?
What will it take to get family planning and population efforts back on track?
Are pregnant women prioritized for bed nets?
Are cesarean deliveries rising among low-risk mothers in Jordan?
Can traditional healers and pharmacists contribute to improving TB detection?
INSIDE THIS ISSUE
Insights from Administrator Rajiv Shah
These Docs Aim to Save Moms' Lives Many Times Over
Saving Lives Profile: Stopping Post-Partum Bleeding
Saving Lives Profile: Pinpointing Preeclampsia with a Simple Red Dot
Saving Lives Profile: Que Vivan Las Madres, Long Live the Mothers
Saving Lives Profile: Senegal's Mother Mentors
Podcast: Saving Lives at Birth -- Up for the Challenge
In the last 20 years, the world has saved more than 50 million children’s lives and reduced maternal mortality by one-third. These accomplishments have been the result of good science, good management, bipartisan political support, the engagement of USAID and many other U.S. Government agencies, and the participation of faith-based organizations, civil society, and the private sector.
At Town Hall, Shah Launches Policy Office, First Lady Hails Agency
- At his first Town Hall meeting with USAID employees May 5, Administrator Rajiv Shah said USAID will establish a policy and budget office while first lady Michelle Obama thanked the Agency for "inspiring" work overseas.
Statement of Jon C. Brause, Deputy Assistant
Administrator, Bureau for Democracy, Conflict, and Humanitarian Assistance
U.S. Agency for International Development
Before the Committee on Foreign Affairs
Subcommittee on Africa and Global Health
Below are highlights of USAID activities conducted in 2008 that support women and girls in the areas of economic opportunities and entrepreneurship; political participation and leadership; education; gender-based violence; legal rights; trafficking in persons; and HIV and AIDS.
Economic Opportunities and Entrepreneurship
Women make a significant contribution to the global economy and empowering women economically can lift entire families and communities out of poverty.
- USAID's Business Climate and Legal and Institutional Reform program will identify the barriers that …
WASHINGTON, D.C. - The American people, through the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), awarded the American Refugee Committee (ARC), an international non-governmental organization, $1.5 million to conduct a three-year communication initiative, which will address gender-based violence and harmful traditional practices among conflict-affected communities in Liberia, Pakistan, and Rwanda.
The U.S. Government through the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) promotes stability and positive participation in the global community through expanded, high-quality education. Adequate investments in education lead to the achievement of most of the other development goals and increase the probability that progress will be sustained. Education enhances the future of children and youth, as they prepare to participate in society and the economy.