By Manuel Moreno González
In Chad, just across the border from the Central African Republic, refugees and returnees remain in desperate need of assistance, and too afraid to go back, for fear of continuing violence.
GORE, Chad, 19 December 2014 – Ten-year-old Assia Issa has delicate facial features and intelligent, bright eyes, and she speaks with a confident voice that would make anyone pay attention. Her voice is a melody in itself, leaving an indelible impression, along with her words.
N’DJAMENA – A groundbreaking study of the impact of hunger on Chad’s economy is starting in the New Year. Part of a series of surveys known as the Cost of Hunger in Africa (COHA), it will examine the effects of child undernutrition on health, education and national productivity in Chad.
Le lancement d'une étude novatrice de l'impact de la faim au Tchad a été annoncée à N'Djamena aujourd'hui. Construite autour des analyses sur le coût de la faim en Afrique (CDFA), elle examinera les effets de la malnutrition des enfants sur la santé, l'éducation et la productivité nationale au Tchad.
By Aysha Nour
A video workshop gives children and youth in Chad an opportunity to share their experiences and their vision.
(Addis Ababa/Jeddah/N'Djamena, 21 November 2014): A high-level mission today wrapped up a week-long visit to Chad raising attention for the human suffering and calling for more engagement of the international community in the Central African Country.
UNICEF Response highlights
• 86% of the estimated caseload of children with SAM had been admitted for therapeutic care - with a recovery rate of 82% (September 2014).
• 40,032 caregivers of SAM affected children in the Sahel have received hygiene kits and key messages.
• 33,622 children 6 months -15 years received their measles vaccination in returnee sites (91% of UNICEF Target).
• Preventative mother to child transmission (PMTCT) of HIV services were integrated into maternal and child health services in all returnee sites.
En étroite collaboration avec la Croix-Rouge du Tchad, le Comité international de la Croix-Rouge (CICR) vient de distribuer des biens de première nécessité à plus de 5 000 personnes déplacées dans la région reculée d’Am-Timan, dans le sud-est du Tchad, en raison du conflit en République centrafricaine.
The ICRC, in close cooperation with the Red Cross of Chad, has distributed essential items to over 5,000 displaced people living in the isolated area of Am Timan, south-eastern Chad.
· L’aménagement du camp temporaire de Maïngama reste urgent, afin de pouvoir aussitôt que possible relocaliser les populations de Doyaba. Les transfert des populations à partir de Doyaba ont repris le 13 octobre, mais restent limitées par rapport à la construction des abris et des infrastructures d’eau, hygiène et assainissement.
· L’aménagement du site de Kobitey reste également une urgence, bien que la construction des abris et le défrichage se poursuivent. Des investissements additionnels sont nécessaires.
Abéché, 1er novembre 2014 – Les pénuries alimentaires dans les camps de réfugiés ont obligé les familles à s'engager dans des pratiques autrement inacceptables. Quelques-unes marient leurs très jeunes filles en échange d'un paiement. Des petites filles font des lessives au lieu d'aller à l'école, pour seulement 1,75 dollars par jour. D'autres femmes se prostituent pour survivre.
Abéché, 1 November 2014 – Food shortages in refugee camps forced families to engage in otherwise unacceptable practices. Some marry off their daughters early in exchange for payment. Young girls wash clothes instead of going to school for as little 1.75 US dollars a day; others engage in survival sex. Sixty percent reductions in food assistance last year for the 360,000 Sudanese refugee families in eastern Chad have not only put girls and women at risk, they have affected girls' education.
· The relocations of people from the transit sites to temporary camps are hampered by delays in the construction of shelter and water and sanitation infrastructure.
· The government has decided to review the development of Maingama temporary camp to maximize the number of inhabitants and to accelerate shelter construction.
· The resurgence of malaria cases in transit sites and temporary camps continues. They now account for half of the sicknesses registered.
In order to raise awareness to children in emergencies and make their voices heard, the EU and the UN Children Fund (UNICEF) have launched a joint campaign, involving national celebrities from various EU countries. One of them was Slovenian basketball player, Boštjan Nachbar, who's currently playing for FC Barcelona. Boštjan travelled to Chad to shoot a video about undernourished children. In this post, he shares some of the unforgettable moments of his trip.
EASTERN CHAD (17 Oct.) -Schools in Sudanese refugee camps in eastern Chard have witnessed a drop-out of students and a complete lack of textbooks since the implementation of a Chadian curriculum this month.
Adam Fadul, who is a teacher in Kounongou camp, told Radio Dabanga about the replacement of the Sudanese curriculum for the basic and secondary school stages in the camps. He stressed that the new, domestic textbooks have not yet arrived in the camps, although the school year in Chad began on 1 October.
The legacy of the EU's Nobel peace prize has been dedicated to helping children and now over 108,000 children in conflict are receiving an education.
By Dionro Nangyo
N’DJAMENA, Chad, 3 October 2014 – Last summer, I traveled with a UNICEF production team to Tédjou, a small town in eastern Chad with a mix of arid and green landscapes, in the region of Dar Sila.