- 87,000 IDPs from Falluja and surrounding areas since May
- 37,520 IDPs from Mosul and surrounding areas since March
- 33,180 IDPs from Shirqat and surrounding areas since June
- 3.39 million IDPs since January 2014
- 230,000 Iraqi refugees in the region
UNHCR’s overall appeal of USD 584 million for IDPs and Iraqi refugees in the region is 37% funded including recent announcements and projections.
Information recently released by Mexican authorities confirm an important increase in the number of violent deaths in the country. In May 2016 the number of killings reached a level that had not been seen in Mexico since 2012, when the war between drug cartels was at its height.
- GoS, UN release 2016 HRP, calling for $952 million in humanitarian assistance
- June and July flooding affects more than 17,500 people
- UNSC renews UNAMID mandate through June 2017
- More than 4.4 million people face acute food insecurity through at least September
- The USAID-funded Famine Early Warning Systems Network (FEWS NET) projects that more than 4.4 million people in Sudan will face acute food insecurity through the end of the June-to-September lean season.
La situation sécuritaire dans la région de l’Extrême-Nord demeure précaire. Malgré les opérations de ratissage entreprises par les forces de défense, huit décès et douze blessés ont été enregistrés dans les départements du MayoSava, Mayo-Moskota et Logone-et-Chari durant la semaine en revue.
Monitoring de protection
European Commission - Press release
Brussels, 28 July 2016
The EU is delivering on its commitment to speed up the implementation of the Facility for Refugees in Turkey bringing the total amount mobilised to more than €2 billion to finance actions in the field of health, education, socio-economic support as well as humanitarian assistance for Syrian refugees
The monthly dashboard summarizes the progress made by partners involved in the Lebanon Crisis Response and highlights trends aecting people in need. Partners in Lebanon are working to: 1) ensure humanitarian assistance and protection for the most vulnerable among the displaced from Syria and poorest Lebanese; 2) strengthen the capacity of national and local delivery systems to expand access to and quality of basic services; and 3) reinforce Lebanon’s economic, social, institutional and environmental stability.
Facts & Figures
Since fighting erupted in December 2013:
- More than 1.61 million internally displaced people according to UN estimates
- Over 200 000 people seeking refuge at UN Mission compounds (UNMIS)
- Over 831 000 South Sudanese refugees & asylum seekers in neighbouring countries (UNHCR)
- 55 aid workers killed by warring parties (UNOCHA)
- About 4.8 million people experiencing food shortages
- Number of refugees from neighbouring countries in South Sudan: over 263 000 (UNHCR)
DAMASCUS, 28 July 2016 – UNICEF deplores yesterday’s shocking attack which reportedly killed more than 50 people, including many children, in the northern Syrian city of Qamishli. Local hospitals are overwhelmed treating more than 150 injured people. UNICEF is informed that 32 children are being treated at the main hospital in Qamishli city, many with serious injuries.
Over 15 residences and 20 shops were reportedly destroyed, and injured civilians remain trapped under the rubble as rescuers continue to work to save lives and recover bodies.
On 27 July, during a search and arrest operation in Surif village (Hebron), reportedly following fire exchange, Israeli forces killed a Palestinian man suspected of carrying out a shooting attack on 1 July, which killed an Israeli settler. During the operation, the forces shelled the three-story building where the suspect was hiding, destroying it entirely and displacing three families.
• As of 3 July, there were 3.3 million people displaced and 777,918 returnees in Iraq, at least 47 per cent of whom are children under 18.
• Conflict escalated in Iraq in the first half of 2016. It is expected that needs will increase as military operations to take back ISIL-held areas continue. In May and June alone, more than 85,000 people, roughly 40,000 children, have been newly-displaced mainly within Anbar. With ongoing military operations the number of IDPs is expected to increase.
Massive deportations from Mexico and the U.S. have not stopped Central Americans fleeing endemic poverty and epidemic violence. Erecting more barriers and forcing migrants and refugees underground deepens the humanitarian crisis - and strengthens the illegal networks turning much of Central America into a criminal battleground.
- Plus de 69 000 personnes ont été obligées de se déplacer à la suite des attaques de Yébi et de Bosso en mai et juin 2016.
- Plus de 966 000 personnes ont reçu de l’assistance alimentaire dans le pays depuis janvier.
- Près de 30 000 personnes sont affectées par les inondations.
Diffa : Des besoins croissants, des ressources limitées
Les attaques de mai et juin ont entrainé le déplacement de plus de 69 000 personnes
- Cholera response continues in Juba as cases increase
- IOM provides emergency aid to displaced in Juba and Wau
- Thousands remain cut-off from aid south of Wau town
IOM teams continue lifesaving humanitarian activities across South Sudan, where more than 6.1 million people are in need of assistance. Since December 2013, the crisis has displaced 2.3 million people, including 717,300 who have fled to neighbouring countries and more than 1.61 million others who remain internally displaced.
- Refugee returns from Kenya to Somalia continue
- Post-Gu assessment projects a gloomy food security outlook
- AWD/cholera cases decline due to robust response
- Humanitarian funding to Somalia declines but needs remain high
Refugees continue to trickle back home
Some 11,000 Somalis return from Kenya in the first half of 2016
The humanitarian situation in Iraq continues to deteriorate. As a result of military operations in Fallujah and Northern provinces of Ninewa and Salah al Din in May and June 2016, over 150 000 people have been displaced. According to the United Nations humanitarian coordinator for Iraq accelerated military operations in the Mosul corridor could increase the number of displaced in country by two additional million. Since January 2014, 3.4 million Iraqis have been internally displaced.