With the start of the Southwest monsoon on 25 May 2017, Sri Lanka received heavy rainfall in its southern and western regions, with some parts getting over 500 mm rainfall. Flash floods and landslides caused 214 deaths with 76 people being reported as missing by 22 June 2017. At the height of the emergency, more than 700,000 people were displaced in camps, or staying with host families, or stranded on their own rooftops for days until the floods subsided. Galle, Kalutara, Matara and Ratnapura are the worst-affected districts.
• Between January and April 2017, 110,676 children with severe acute malnutrition (SAM) were admitted into the national Community Management of Acute Malnutrition programme. While overall SAM admissions in April decreased by 11 per cent compared to March, drought affected zones in Oromia, SNNP and Somali reported increasing admissions.
164.000 Refugiados y solicitantes de asilo del Triángulo Norte de Centroamérica (TNC) para finales de 2016. Casi diez veces más que en los últimos cinco años
174.000 Personas desplazadas internamente (PDI) en Honduras (esta cifra se base en un ejercicio de identificación de perfiles de 2014, realizado en 21 municipios de un total de 298 municipios en el país).
• More than 10,000 measles cases have been reported in Somalia since the start of the year. In response, UNICEF and partners have vaccinated 596,328 children 6-59 months across the country and a supplementary national measles immunisation campaign is planned for November, targeting 4.2 million children 6 months to 10 years.
A. Situation analysis
Description of the disaster
Heavy rains during the period of January-March 2017 within the Cuvelai River Basin in Angola and localized rainfalls in Oshana, Oshikoto, Ohangwena, Omusati resulted in localized flooding in Iishana (shallow flood plains).
This Periodic Monitoring Report (PMR) presents information on the evolving humanitarian situation in Yemen and the accomplishments by the humanitarian community against 2017 humanitarian targets and objectives for the January to April 2017 period. It builds on information that is collected monthly to monitor progress against agreed upon objectives and targets. It also presents key conclusions and recommendations for the humanitarian community and partners to consider.
• Rainfall totals were more than 30 per cent below average across large areas of Somalia, and more than 50 per cent below average in the worst-affected areas, according to the Global Food Security alert issued by FEWSNET on 21 June.
• A total of 3.51 million people have been reached with temporary or permanent access to safe water since the beginning of the year. This represents 75 per cent of the 4.5 million people targeted for access to safe water.
En el marco de la asistencia a familias afectadas por las inundaciones en el sur del país, este lunes 19 se reunieron el ministro de la Secretaría de Emergencia Nacional (SEN), Joaquín Roa Burgos, y otros ministros del Poder Ejecutivo con intendentes de Yabebyry, Villa Florida, San Ignacio Guazú y Ayolas (Misiones), afectados por una declaración de emergencia. En la ocasión, las autoridades municipales expresaron sus necesidades y se inició la coordinación interinstitucional para definir en qué acciones serán utilizados los recursos asignados por la declaración.
530,805 people of concern
41,319 registered refugees & asylum seekers
240,188 internally displaced persons
249,298 IDP returnees
45 detention centres identified
29 (19 in western region, 8 in eastern region and 2 in southern region) visited by UNHCR and partners in 2017
12 main disembarkation points, 6 of which provided with health services by UNHCR and partners, the other 6 by IOM
En las consultas anuales se toma nota de los buenos resultados de 2016 y se inician los debates sobre la próxima fase del fondo
21/06/2017 - En la consulta anual del Mecanismo de apoyo a programas multiasociados, la FAO presentó los logros alcanzados mediante el fondo en 2016, gracias al cual se obtuvieron resultados importantes hacia el objetivo del hambre cero, la sostenibilidad del sistema alimentario y agrícola y la reducción de la pobreza en las zonas rurales.
NEW YORK, 22 June (Office of Information and Communications Technology) — The United Nations announced today that Data for Democracy (D4D) has won the Unite Ideas Internal Displacement Event Tagging and Extraction Clustering Tool (#IDETECT) data challenge.
As of 20 June 2017, the total number of reported cases remained 8, including 3 probable cases and 5 laboratory confirmed cases (2 confirmed cases by PCR - detection of viral DNA in the blood- and 3 cases with positive serology IgG -detection of antibodies in the blood).
As of 20 June 2017, there were 4 recorded deaths, including 1 confirmed Ebola case and 3 probable cases.
The last confirmed case was reported and isolated on 11 May 2017 translating to 40 days without a PCR confirmed case as of 20 June 2017.
In Syria, the delivery of humanitarian assistance to several locations continued to be hampered due to ongoing or renewed hostilities. During May 2017, only three interagency convoys to Duma, Wadi Barada and Jirud in Rural Damascus took place, with UNICEF delivering multi-sectoral assistance to 42,000 people in need.
- Amidst persisting political instability and the deteriorating security situation in Libya, as well as the increase in food insecurity of IDPs, returnees and refugees in need of food assistance, WFP aims to scale up from its target figure of 90,000 in June to reach 175,000 food insecure individuals during the last quarter of 2017. WFP prioritizes those most vulnerable to food insecurity, including unemployed households headed by women.