The Secretary-General is saddened to learn of the loss of life and devastation caused by the mudslides in Maoxin county, Sichuan province, in the People’s Republic of China.
The Secretary-General salutes the efforts of the national relief and recovery teams. The United Nations stands ready to support the authorities in any way it can if needed.
The Secretary-General extends his condolences to the people and Government of the People's Republic of China and wishes those injured a speedy recovery.
Stéphane Dujarric, Spokesman for the Secretary-General
Since June 2016, Western Bahr el Ghazal has experienced multiple incidents of intense conflict in areas of Wau town, and the surrounding areas of Jur river, Wau and Raja counties. Many areas in Western Bahr el Ghazal are largely inaccessible to humanitarian actors due to insecurity and logistical constraints. As a result, only limited information is available on the humanitarian situation outside major displacement sites in Wau town.
In 2014 and 2015, Upper Nile State was the site of some of the most intense conflict in South Sudan. Although the state had enjoyed a period of relative calm in 2016, since January 2017, conflict has reignited across the state. Many areas in Upper Nile are largely inaccessible to humanitarian actors due to insecurity and logistical constraints. As a result, only limited information is available on the humanitarian situation outside major displacement sites.
Conflict in Jonglei State broke out in late December 2013, only days after the current conflict began in Juba. Since then, the state has been one of the worst affected by the conflict, and currently hosts the second highest reported numbers of internally displaced persons (IDPs) in the country. Many areas in Jonglei are largely inaccessible to humanitarian actors due to insecurity and logistical constraints. As a result, only limited information is available on the humanitarian situation outside major displacement sites.
24 June 2017 – Wrapping up a three-day visit to Haiti, a Security Council delegation today stressed that it has accomplished the objectives of the mission, including a first-hand look into how best the United Nations could contribute to the country's lasting stability and development.
“I am glad to report that the objectives of the visit were met,” Sacha Sergio Llorentty Soliz, Bolivia's Permanent Representative to the UN, who led the Council delegation, told a press conference in Port-au-Prince, Haiti.
More than 120 people are feared dead after a mountainside collapsed over a village in rural China. After hours of rescue efforts, emergency operations have only found few survivors.
Rescue crews are scrambling Saturday to save villagers trapped under rubble after heavy rain triggered a landslide at the village of Xinmo, located in Maoxian County in Sichuan province.
A couple and a baby were rescued and taken to hospital hours after the disaster. Rescuers have found another survivor but were still trying to reach him.
Iraqi forces are creating safe passage routes for civilians trapped by IS by dividing the militant group's territory. Despite that effort, the UN said civilians under IS occupation face "almost unimaginable" danger.
The Iraqi army has opened escape routes Saturday for hundreds of civilians trapped by fighting with "Islamic State" (IS) militants in Mosul's Old City.
IS appears to be mounting a last stand in what was once the self-declared capital of its self-styled "caliphate."
Statement by the Spokesperson on fatalities in the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
Recent violations of the ceasefire resulting in further fatalities on the Line of Contact in the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict zone are a stark reminder that the status quo is unsustainable.
The Presidents of Armenia and Azerbaijan have repeatedly committed to the ceasefire and the peaceful settlement of this conflict.
CARACAS, June 20, 2017 – UNICEF expresses once again its deep concern about the impact that recent events in Venezuela have had on children and adolescents.
According to official sources, eight teenagers between the ages of 14 and 17 have been killed in demonstrations in recent months. There have been also cases of injured children reported, as well as health and education centers that have been evacuated due to gases or fumes.
NEW YORK/GENEVA, 24 June 2017 – The rapidly spreading cholera outbreak in Yemen has exceeded 200,000 suspected cases, increasing at an average of 5,000 a day. We are now facing the worst cholera outbreak in the world.
In just two months, cholera has spread to almost every governorate of this war-torn country. Already more than 1,300 people have died – one quarter of them children – and the death toll is expected to rise.
This report is for the media and the general public.
Luanda - From the year 1996 to 2017, over 3. 4 billion square meters of land were demined in Angola, corresponding to 108.5 million square meters of roads, 7.7 million square meters of unexploded ordnances.,
This is an outcome that emerged from the National Demining Conference held in Luanda on 22-23 June under the slogan "Angola free from Landmines, moving towards development".
A total of 1,979 AWD/cholera cases and 13 deaths (CFR-0.7%) were reported during week 24 from 48 districts in 16 regions. Of these, 337 cases (17%) were reported from Wadajir district in Banadir region.
There was a 19% decrease in the number of new AWD/cholera cases from 2,429 cases in week 23 to 1,979 cases in week 24. Deaths also decreased by 19% from 16 during week 23 to 13 during week 24.
Luanda - Demining is crucial for the country to return to normal since the circulation of people and flow of goods, development of agriculture, trade, construction and rehabilitation of infrastructures are only possible if the territory is free of landmines.,
This was said by the minister of Welfare and Social Reintegration, Gonçalves Muandumba, when speaking last Friday at the closing ceremony of the National Demining Conference, which took place in Luanda on 22-23 June under the motto “Angola free from landmines, moving towards development”.
(Baghdad, 24 June 2017) – The United Nations strongly condemns recent incidents resulting in the terrible loss of civilian life including the 23 June attacks in eastern Mosul and in Mushahada in the old city of Mosul where as many as 12 civilians were killed and possibly hundreds injured.
“Killing and wounding civilians violates every humanitarian principle and is contrary in every way to international humanitarian law,” said Lise Grande, Humanitarian Coordinator for Iraq.
More than 140 people are feared to have been buried in a landslide in Sichuan province in south-western China. About 40 homes were destroyed in Xinmo village in Maoxian county, after the side of a mountain collapsed at about 06:00 local time (22:00 UTC) on 23 June. The police and rescue workers are deployed in the affected area. The landslide had been triggered by recent heavy rains, amplified by a lack of vegetation in the area.
The villages of Gossi and Ouinerden (Rharous area, Timbuktu region) have been affected by heavy rainfall that caused flash flooding. According to local rapid assessments, the floods resulted in damage to shelter and property, loss of foodstuff and the death of thousands of livestock. The risk of water-borne disease outbreak is high after water points were contaminated by animal corpses. The flash floods are putting further stress on an already vulnerable community that has been affected by food insecurity and a pastoral crisis.
Washington, DC, June 23 2017 (PAHO/WHO) – When the first case of Zika virus disease was diagnosed in Brazil in May, 2015, “The Americas had the unfortunate distinction of being a testing ground for Zika Virus infections” and the disease then became “the new villain in this region, causing fear, economic losses, and most importantly, marking the lives of children and families affected by debilitating birth defects,” according to Pan American Health Organization Director Carissa F. Etienne.