Training in ODK Mobile Data Gathering
ODK is a set of open source applications which allow one to create a questionnaire form in the Xform format, fill it out on a mobile phone or tablet running the Android operating system, store and view the aggregated information on a central server, and retrieve the aggregated data to one’s computer for analysis. Data capture includes GPS coordinates for real-time mapping of responses in Google Maps, or near-real time once the surveyor has an Internet connection to send the collected forms back to the server.
Whether you’re a seasoned mobile apps user or new to mobile apps especially for data collection, this course will allow you to quickly get grips on with ODK for both simple and more complex tasks during your data management process.
This course also plays a vital role in minimizing both time and resources used right from data collection all through the data management process and also make analyses easier.
For whom the course is intended
It is intended for individuals and organizations that want to ease their data collection process.
This is a 3 day training program
- To enable the individual to create X-forms compliant questionnaire using three different applications which will include skip logic, graphical questions, cascading question types, input value control, multiple languages, media and geo-location input.
- To enable participant to install and manage a central server on the Windows platform to aggregate the data or use one of the free on-line storage services.
- To enable the participant learn how to set the various parameters of the Android application for optimal usage.
- Introduction to mobile phone data collection
- Setting up aggregate server with Google App Engine
- Uploading the form to aggregate & send to Android phone
- Designing & building a form using ODK build
- Setting server preference on android phone
- Data collection
- Submitting completed data to aggregate server
- Exporting data from ODK aggregate as CSV
- Importing ODK - CSV file into statistical applications
- Exporting GPS data for Mapping/Visualizing (fusion map)
By the end of the course, the participant should be able to:
- explain the purpose of ODK
- use each of the tools of ODK set of applications
- create a questionnaire form using three different applications
- read and modify and/or debug a form in its XML format
- download, use and set the parameters of ODK collect for optimal use
- incorporate advanced form features such as picture questions, cascading, repeat groups, multilingualism, calculated variables, photo and sound variables, and graphic annotation
- geotag forms and visualize them on a map