The total number of confirmed cases rose by three this week to 3,335 from 3,332, all of which were in the Ratoma area of Conakry. (WHO, Ebola Situation Report, 17-23 August 2015).
The number of confirmed deaths climbed to 2,075 with a total count of 2,527 confirmed and probable deaths.
Despite its Ebola-free status, efforts to maintain momentum in establishing an Ebola buffer system in Guinea Bissau have been particularly affected by the political crisis over the past two weeks.
The week to 23 August 2015 saw the second successive epidemiological week without a confirmed Ebola case.
Leaving the departures terminal in Baghdad airport is like walking into an oven. It is over 50 degrees. I haven’t been to Baghdad for three years. When I last left, I thought the country was on the right track.
Things have, however, taken a sharp turn since June last year – and not in the right direction. More than three million people have been displaced. Many ran for their lives. Children have been abducted, girls raped and tens of thousands of houses looted or seized.
GENEVA/SKOPJE, 1 September, 2015 – The number of women and children fleeing violence in their countries of origin and passing through the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia seeking refuge in Europe has tripled in the past three months, UNICEF said today.
An estimated 3,000 people are transiting through the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia daily. A third of them are women and children – up from 10 per cent in June. Some 12 per cent of the women are pregnant.
HRP2016 Process Started
The 2016 humanitarian program cycle began on August 23, 2015 with a workshop led by OCHA and attended by all sector leads in Sudan. A multisectoral approach to analysis of needs will be applied for developing the humanitarian needs overview.
Subsequently, the humanitarian response plan (HRP2016) will be developed around addressing displacement and the malnutrition/food insecurity crisis.
Emergency Response in Abu Karinka, East Darfur
By Cornelia Walther
Five years on, Haiti’s cholera epidemic remains an emergency, but as one village demonstrates, simple, cost-effective solutions are within reach.
ARTIBONITE, Haiti, 27 August 2015 – “In the past, many people here got very sick. My friend got cholera – she almost died,” says Maria, 12 years old. She lives in the commune of St. Michel d’Attalye, in Haiti’s Artibonite department.
Earlier this week, 14 educators and four of their children were killed and 20 people injured in an airstrike on a teacher’s office in Amran, just north of Sana’a. UNICEF’s Executive Director and the UN Special Representative for Children and Armed Conflict strongly condemned the targeting of civilian infrastructure and the devastating impact it is having on Yemen’s children.
• Across the region, with the start of the school year approaching, UNICEF and partners are gearing up to support learning opportunities.
• In Syria, UNICEF is preparing for the launch of the Back to Learning (BTL) initiative 2015/2016. The BTL initiative aims to reach over 1 million children with education supplies and approximately 5.5 million community members with education messages via media campaign. Unique to this year’s campaign is the launching of the self-learning programme, which targets 315,000 out-of-school children this year.
UNICEF Response highlights in 2015
• 850,000 people have access to health services and essential medicines in affected areas; a national measles campaign is scheduled for November.
• 10,025 children under five suffering from severe acute malnutrition received therapy with a recovery rate of 87%.
• Over 200,000 people have access to safe drinking water and more than 150,000 displaced people have access to latrines in the sites.
Despite a receding of floodwaters, the ongoing monsoon continues to risk further flooding and increase the vulnerability of people coping with the effects of the disaster.
Multi-Sector/Cluster Initial Rapid Assessment results have been compiled and the Inter-Agency Initial Flood Response Plan finalised.
40% of flood-affected areas continue to have limited humanitarian access as a result of debris, broken roads and bridges.
Burinyi, Mwenga, Democratic Republic of the Congo, 24 August 2015 – “These past months, we suffered a lot to find drinking water. We couldn’t use the water source because the water coming out of it was dirty. Now, it has been repaired and we are very happy to have clean water.”
Burinyi, Mwenga, République Démocratique du Congo, 24 août 2015 – « Ces derniers mois, nous avons beaucoup souffert à trouver de l’eau potable. Nous ne pouvions pas utiliser le point d’eau parce que l’eau qui en sortait était sale. Maintenant, le point a été réparé et nous sommes très contents d’avoir de l’eau propre. »
By Cornelia Walther
After recently spending 24 hours in Gonaives, Artibonite department, the link between water and health is once again engraved in my mind. The day – spent on the ground with UNICEF partner Action Against Hunger (ACF) in and around the commune of St Michel d’Attalye – illustrated the direct connection between safe water and cholera, between life and death like no infographic or report could.
The Tanzania government has given a green light for UNHCR to conduct an assessment of three identified sites in two districts of Kibondo (Nduta) and Kakonko (Karago and Mtendeli). All the three sites were used for refugee camps in the past years.
6000 families are still in mass shelters while all 16 schools that were used for mass shelters have been emptied and learning will resume in the coming few days.
Below average/failed Belg rains (the short rains from February-April) is expected to affect the food security of poor households in SNNPR, Oromia, Amhara and in pastoral areas of Afar and Somali regions (Famine Early Warning System Network, FEWSNET).
Humanitarian needs in Ethiopia will also increase during the second half of the year following the poor Belg rains and delayed Kiremt rains (long rains from May-September). (FEWSNET)
The earthquakes in April and May of 2015 have had a devastating impact on the facilities and infrastructure in the education sector. According to Department of Education initial damage assessment data over 2,500 toilet blocks and 1,500 water supply systems have been damaged in the 14 most affected districts.