Geneva - The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and the Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS) would like to call attention to the urgent and compelling case for the international community to take all measures possible to protect the health of people living in least-developed countries (LDCs).
• UNICEF is supporting the installation of Sayam Forage refugee camp, hosting over 1,200 refugees, by providing squatting plates, water bladders, NFIs and recreational and ECD kits to UNHCR to ensure access to water and sanitation and support safe spaces for children as part of child protection.
La communauté humanitaire au Tchad recherche USD 540millions pour répondre aux besoins humanitaires de 2,5 millions de personnes en 2015. Ces fonds permettront de répondre à quatre défis humanitaires principaux liés à l’insécurité alimentaire et la malnutrition (44% du total demande), aux réfugiés et personnes déplacées (48% du total), aux urgences sanitaires (6% du total) et aux catastrophes naturelles (1% du total).
WASHINGTON DC— The National AIDS Council says 900 young girls were sexually abused in the first quarter of this year.
According to NewZimbabwe.com, the council says there were at least 1,517 cases of sexual abuse during this period with some of the victims testing HIV after being raped.
Indications are that the figure is lower than that of the last quarter of 2014.
The training of people involved in the fight against HIV and AIDS is very important as it is sustainable. This is the reason why MONUSCO HIV/AIDS Unit is expanding its innovative training programme to both the grassroots and public sector in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC).
GENÈVE, 18 mai 2015—À l’occasion de la Journée de sensibilisation au vaccin contre le VIH, l’ONUSIDA appelle à un engagement mondial renouvelé pour trouver un vaccin efficace contre le VIH.
« Un vaccin représenterait une étape importante en vue de mettre fin à l’épidémie de sida, » a déclaré le Directeur exécutif de l’ONUSIDA Michel Sidibé. « Il y a eu de récents progrès scientifiques encourageants qui nous laissent espérer la mise au point future d’un vaccin contre le VIH. »
• Conflict-affected people and communities are under severe strain. The Freedom of Movement Legislation is negatively affecting citizens on both sides of the contact line in accessing services and reuniting families.
• HIV/AIDS related needs in non-governmentcontrolled areas are of concern. There are reports of interruptions of antiretroviral treatment for children and adults in these territories, including for pregnant HIV positive women.
· In the week to 10 May 2015, weekly case incidence decreased to two, down from nine the previous week. Both the cases this week came from known contacts in quarantine homes in Western Area Urban (Freetown).
· Implementation of the UNICEF-supported Kambia Community Action Plan (KCAP) started with the primary objective of enhancing community ownership and engagement in one of the country’s last hotspot areas.
· The total number of confirmed cases of Ebola rose to 3,174 this week, according to WHO’s Epidemiological Situation Report. The total number of confirmed, suspected and probable cases increased to 3,597.
· The number of confirmed deaths from Ebola rose to 1,977, with a total of 2,392 confirmed, suspected and probable deaths.
C’est l’histoire d’une lutte. L’histoire de deux femmes, Elise et Philomène, l’une adolescente, l’autre mère de famille, toutes deux séropositives. Dans cette lutte que Philomène et Elise ont chacune à leur manière menée contre la maladie, c’est le dépistage et le traitement qui ont fait toute la différence.
- Dans sa résolution 2162 (2014), le Conseil de sécurité a prorogé le mandat de l’Opération des Nations Unies en Côte d’Ivoire (ONUCI) jusqu’au 30 juin 2015 et m’a prié de le tenir informé de la situation sur le terrain et de l’application de la résolution. Le présent rapport rend compte des principaux faits survenus depuis mon rapport du 12 décembre 2014 (S/2014/892) et contient une recommandation tendant à prolonger le mandat de l’ONUCI.
- By its resolution 2162 (2014), the Security Council extended the mandate of the United Nations Operation in Côte d’Ivoire (UNOCI) until 30 June 2015, and requested me to keep it informed of the situation on the ground and the implementation of that resolution. The present report provides an update on major developments since my report of 12 December 2014 (S/2014/892) and recommendations for extending the mandate of UNOCI.
Summary of WFP assistance: Through Trust Fund 200657, WFP strengthens government capacity for the implementation of “Progresando con Solidaridad”, the country's leading social protection programme under the Vice Presidency’s Cabinet for Social Policy. The WFP implemented nutrition component targets 121,706 beneficiaries including children, pregnant and lactating women and the elderly. This programme is the country’s main platform to tackle micronutrient deficiencies and malnutrition.
Summary of WFP assistance:
As per the 2012–2016 country strategy, WFP El Salvador supports the development of sustainable government-run social protection programmes, nutrition-oriented interventions, and restores food security and livelihoods through assistance to vulnerable groups affected by recurrent natural disasters in El Salvador.
• UNICEF played an active role in the Bangui forum, which took place on 4 - 11 May and represents a major milestone towards peace, national reconciliation and social cohesion in CAR. The forum culminated in the agreement of all armed groups in CAR to release children from their groups.
• The CAR government announced the closure of the Mpoko IDP site by the end of May. This site hosts over 18,000 IDPs. UNICEF will support WASH, Health and Education intervention in relocation of these 18,000 IDPs to the new site sites.
WASHINGTON, 11 mai 2015 — La Banque mondiale a annoncé aujourd’hui l’affectation d’un don additionnel de 7 millions de dollars à la poursuite du Projet d’amélioration de la performance du secteur de la santé à Djibouti. Depuis son approbation en avril 2013, ce projet a permis de fournir des services de santé améliorés à 171 222 bénéficiaires dans les villes de Djibouti, Ali Sabieh et Tadjourah.
14 May 2015 – Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has gathered senior leaders from around the world for a meeting that began today in New York on ways to step-up commitments to improve the health of women, children and adolescents globally under a United Nations initiative.
According to Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Water Development’s second round of agriculture production estimates, rain fed maize production has been reduced by around 28% for the season in the 2014/15 agricultural season. As result, food insecurity is expected to increase in several districts across the country. The situation is also compounded by the estimated shortage of production of several other staples such as rice, sorghum and millet in several districts.
KOUMRA, Chad – In the conservative, traditional communities of southern Chad, a bold radio programme is bringing sex-related issues to the airwaves. But the show is not hosted by shock jocks. Rather, it is the work of health activists raising awareness of critical health matters, including HIV prevention and family planning.