The European Asylum Support Office (EASO) published a Country of Origin Information (COI) report entitled ‘Pakistan Country Overview’. The report provides both general background information and more detailed information on topics relevant for international protection status determination in regard to Pakistani asylum seekers.
South Sudan is a landlocked country of approximately 640,000km2 . It was formed in 2011, gaining independence from Sudan. It is bordered by Sudan, Ethiopia, Kenya, Uganda, Democratic Republic of Congo, and Central African Republic. Abyei region is claimed by both Sudan and South Sudan, with its final status pending negotiations between the two countries (CIA Factbook, 2015). The country is divided into 10 states, with the capital being Juba.
A. Situation analysis
Description of the disaster
- Suspected Israeli settler arson attack results in two Palestinian deaths in West Bank village.
- On year after the end of 2014 Gaza hostilities, affected families finally accessing building materials to reconstruct their homes.
- FAO responds to new outbreaks of ‘bird flu’ in Gaza.
Humanitarian needs across Yemen continue to grow as violence escalates.
Serious damage to Al - Hudaydah port could deprive millions of people of food and prevent the import of fuel necessary to run health facilities, flour mills, and water and sanitation works.
Some form of assistance delivered to 6.9 million people across Yemen’s 22 governorates.
Outstanding donor pledges hinder response.
(MissionNewswire) Don Bosco Fambul, located in Sierra Leone’s capital city, Freetown, is one of the country’s leading child-welfare organizations and has been on the forefront of efforts to help prevent Ebola in local communities and provide care for children left orphaned. Since 2010, the organization has provided a countrywide phone counseling service.
Earlier this week, 14 educators and four of their children were killed and 20 people injured in an airstrike on a teacher’s office in Amran, just north of Sana’a. UNICEF’s Executive Director and the UN Special Representative for Children and Armed Conflict strongly condemned the targeting of civilian infrastructure and the devastating impact it is having on Yemen’s children.
• Across the region, with the start of the school year approaching, UNICEF and partners are gearing up to support learning opportunities.
• In Syria, UNICEF is preparing for the launch of the Back to Learning (BTL) initiative 2015/2016. The BTL initiative aims to reach over 1 million children with education supplies and approximately 5.5 million community members with education messages via media campaign. Unique to this year’s campaign is the launching of the self-learning programme, which targets 315,000 out-of-school children this year.
137 CAR refugees were registered in Bétou areas and Brazzaville this week. The number of new arrivals, except for the regularization, is currently lower.
Up to 23 August 2015, 29,884 CAR refugees were registered in the Republic of Congo, including 19,473 who arrived after 5 December 2013.
UNICEF Response highlights in 2015
• 850,000 people have access to health services and essential medicines in affected areas; a national measles campaign is scheduled for November.
• 10,025 children under five suffering from severe acute malnutrition received therapy with a recovery rate of 87%.
• Over 200,000 people have access to safe drinking water and more than 150,000 displaced people have access to latrines in the sites.
Despite a receding of floodwaters, the ongoing monsoon continues to risk further flooding and increase the vulnerability of people coping with the effects of the disaster.
Multi-Sector/Cluster Initial Rapid Assessment results have been compiled and the Inter-Agency Initial Flood Response Plan finalised.
40% of flood-affected areas continue to have limited humanitarian access as a result of debris, broken roads and bridges.
Desde el 22 de agosto, 1.088 colombianos han sido deportados/repatriados en Norte de Santander tras el cierre de la frontera y declaratoria del Estado de Excepción Constitucional en seis municipios del Estado del Táchira en la República Bolivariana de Venezuela. La Cruz Roja Colombiana estima que 4.260 personas adicionales habrían retornado a Colombia de forma espontánea en el marco de esta situación.
Typhoon "INENG" (I.N. "GONI") entered the Philippine Area of Responsibility (PAR) on the afternoon of 18 August 2015. Typhoon "INENG" exited PAR midnight of 23 August 2015. Southwest Monsoon, however, is still affecting llocos Region.
Appeal Target: US$ 4,131,680
Balance Requested: US$ 4,070,485
Geneva, 27 August 2015
Heavy rains have caused floods and landslides in several parts of Myanmar since June 2015. On 30 July, Cyclone Komen made landfall in Bangladesh, bringing strong winds and additional heavy rains to the country, which resulted in widespread flooding across 12 of the country’s 14 states and regions (Ayeyarwady, Bago, Chin, Kachin, Kayin, Magway, Mandalay, Mon, Rakhine, Sagaing, Shan Yangon).
On 31 July, the President declared Chin and Rakhine states, and Magway and Sagaing regions as natural disaster zones.
• 9,500 IDPs in Central Darfur’s Guldo town finally receive food aid.
• 6,600 South Sudanese refugees in White Nile State still need emergency shelter and household supplies.
• 114,000 South Sudanese refugees who arrived in Sudan since mid-December 2013 have received some form of humanitarian assistance.
• 22,000 people displaced due to inter-tribal conflict in North Darfur’s Mellit area need aid.
UN Agency Updates
From August 10-11 IOM Sierra Leone welcomed Mr. Mohammed Abdiker, Director - Department of Operations and Emergencies and Dr. Davide Mosca, Director - Migration Health Division, at IOM HQ Geneva as well as representatives from the IOM Regional Office in Dakar on a consultative mission. High level meetings were held with the UN Resident Coordinator, WHO Country Representative, and Minister of Health, US CDC and USAID OFDA.
Snapshot 11 August – 25 August 2015
Haiti: Insecurity has increased since legislative elections. Violence and intimidation were reported at many polling stations and a second round of voting is planned, following low voter turnout. Food security has deteriorated as a result of prolonged drought conditions since the beginning of 2015: poor households in Sud, Sud-Est, Nord-Est and Artibonite will remain in Crisis (IPC Phase 3) food security outcomes through December. Recent cholera rates are triple those of the comparable time period in 2014.