"I come to the school here because it is the only place near my house where I can play sports and be with friends. There are no safe open spaces or playgrounds," says Ahmad, busily constructing a face using plastic plates and wool at the UNRWA Alternative al-Neirabin School in Mazzeh, Damascus.
On 31 August, the UNHCR Representative in Yemen, Mr. Johannes Van Der Klaauw, in his capacity as Humanitarian Coordinator, issued a statement calling for safe passage to Taizz and for a humanitarian window to deliver humanitarian assistance to the people affected by the conflict.
UNHCR is leading a joint UN mission to Aden to re-establish international UN presence in the south of Yemen.
GoRSS, SPLM-IO, and other stakeholders sign peace agreement; subsequent ceasefire violations reported
General insecurity continues to drive displacement and constrain humanitarian operations
UN extends L3 designation for South Sudan
Armed clashes between al-Houthi and pro- RoYG forces affected all of Yemen’s 21 governorates in August
The Yemen crisis has internally displaced 1.4 million people and caused approximately 100,800 people to flee the country as of August
State/PRM announces $6.1 million in additional funding for people seeking refuge in Djibouti and Somalia as a result of the Yemen crisis ￼
As of August IOM DTM report 2015 and compared to June (IOM DTM report), there has been a dramatic increase (58%) in the number of insurgency related IDPs in the three North East states reaching almost 2 million. Since June 2015, the Borno IDP population has increased the most (65%) with 1.65 million IDPs. The number of returns has also increased (18%) to 262,324 returnees.
Updates on how the UK government is helping to address the Syrian refugee situation
In the first 6 months of 2015, more than 220,000 people were detected crossing the Mediterranean to Europe. Many of these are fleeing the conflict in Syria: the conflict has killed over 220,000 and forced more than 11 million to flee their homes.
The UK government is taking part in the UN’s programme to resettle refugees who have fled from their home countries, including those affected by conflict or civil war.
Madrid, Spain | AFP | Friday 9/4/2015 - 15:17 GMT
Britain will provide an extra 100 million pounds (137 million euros, $153 million) in humanitarian aid for the Syrian crisis, bringing its total contribution to more than 1.0 billion pounds, Prime Minister David Cameron said Friday.
"That is the UK's largest-ever response to a humanitarian crisis. No other European country has come close to this level of support," he told a news conference in Madrid.
CAIRO – A large shipment of wheat from the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) has arrived and been unloaded in Al-Saleef port in northwestern Yemen, providing enough wheat to feed more than 1 million people for two months.
The Sea Athena, which left Al-Saleef today, is the first ship to deliver a U.S. wheat contribution to Yemen since WFP began its emergency operation in the country in April. The vessel carried 35,800 metric tons of bulk wheat, which is being milled into flour at the port.
WFP brings urgently needed food and nutrition assistance to Nyal (Unity) following the reported arrival of approximately 28,000 IDPs affected by the conflict. UNICEF is also present on the ground to treat severe acute malnutrition. Nyal is one of the largest sites in southern Unity with a previous caseload of 60,000 beneficiaries. In early August, WFP had been forced to suspend distributions and evacuate the area following reports of a potential upsurge in fighting.
(New York, 4 September 2015) – United Nations humanitarian chief Stephen O’Brien has released an additional US$15 million from the UN Central Emergency Response Fund (CERF) to support lifesaving assistance for millions of people affected by the devastating humanitarian crisis in Yemen. This brings CERF support for humanitarian operations in the country to more than $44 million in 2015.
Yemen is currently one of the most underfunded humanitarian crises in the world. The Yemen Humanitarian Response Plan (YHRP) is only 22 per cent funded, with US$351.7 million in contributions made against the $1.6 billion in requirements for the year. An additional $247.8 million has been contributed to humanitarian programmes outside the appeal and mainly by regional partners. The outstanding pledges for the YHRP from the regional donors amount to US$220 million where as traditional donors have pledged US$67.6 million that remains unpaid.
As at 02 September 2015, Kakuma had received 46,495 asylum seekers from South Sudan. The total registered camp population was 181,723 as at 31 August.
A. Situation analysis
Description of the disaster
A fire that reached the highest alarm broke out on 2 March 2015 in the densely-populated compound of Parola in Tondo in the Philippine capital, Manila. More than 10,000 families (50,000 people) were affected, losing homes and essential household items. More than 1,000 houses were destroyed or damaged by the fire. Most of the affected people took refuge in evacuation centres set up by the city government of Manila.
230 CAR refugees were registered in Bétou areas and Brazzaville this week. The number of new arrivals, except for the regularization, is currently lower.
Up to 30 august 2015, 30,114 CAR refugees were registered in the Republic of Congo, including 19,473 who arrived after 5 December 2013.
The signing of the peace agreement is a positive development. However, many significant concerns remain to be addressed and the Addis Ababa workshop starting on 04 September will be critical.
Resourcing remains a serious concern with food stocks low in Kenya and Sudan. In Kenya, WFP continues to implement 30 percent ration cuts, which started in the second round of June distributions.
A. Situation analysis
Description of the disaster
In the second half of January 2015, the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (FYROM) was affected by heavy rainfalls and snow in the higher areas. The extreme precipitation caused serious damages in the eastern part of the country, especially in the Municipality of Karbinci where the villages were immediately evacuated due to the rise of the rivers and the water level of the man-made lake in Kalimanci and Gradche.
The British support ship has been tasked by the Department for International Development to offer assistance to the communities of Coulibistrie, Colihaut, Dublanc and Bioche which have been severely damaged by a combination of flash flooding, mudslides, landslides and rock falls. In addition, most of the communities have been left inaccessible, following the erosion of major transport routes.
Defence Secretary Michael Fallon said:
Published: Wednesday, 02 September 2015 14:30
The Government of Dominica continues to seek assistance from every part of the globe.
This is all in an effort to bring relief to those who have been affected by the passage of Tropical Storm Erika.
The communities identified as “special disaster areas” as well as other critical areas have already begun receiving supplies including food, water, and medicine.
At a press conference on Monday August 31st, Prime Minister Skerrit conveyed that he has written to every country seeking assistance.