Zimbabwe Food Security Brief October – November 2012
- Private traders or retailers were the main source of cereals for the majority of households.
- The rise in demand for cereals on the markets was curtailed by the increase in food assistance programmes in November
- Average maize grain prices on the markets have been on an upward trend. Prices remain high in the deficit areas.
- In Matabeleland North and South provinces staple grain was not readily available on the markets. However, maize meal was available but at high prices.
- Average cattle prices increased slightly in November. However, cattle condition was still reported as fair to poor across the monitored sites.
- There are high chances of normal to below normal rainfall for the drought‐prone southern part of the country. This is likely to impact negatively on the food security situation.