Governance and Aid Effectiveness: Has the White Paper Got it Right?
This paper highlights six main "arenas" that matter in terms of governance. These are all areas where donors can help support progress:
- civil society, where citizens raise and become aware of political issues;
- political society, where societal interests are aggregated in politics - elections, parliaments and political parties;
- government, executive stewardship of the country as a whole;
- bureaucracy, where policies are implemented;
- economic society, refers to the vital state-market relations - the nature of property rights and regulations; and
- judiciary, where disputes are settled - the formal and informal mechanisms.