Ugandan Female Platoon Commander Foils Rebel Attack
Reporting this Wednesday, Kampala's New Vision newspaper said a senior officer of the Lords Resistance Army, self-styled Lt. Col. Okwonga, surrendered with his gun soon after the dawn battle. However, he died later from heavy blood loss. The paper said that Okwonga belonged to Kony's Control-Altar brigade and that Joseph Kony led the rebel attack.
There was much excitement among soldiers in Gulu barracks following the Atiak battle. Male soldiers praised Lt. Akello, one of the few female officers, for her battlefield leadership which led to the capture of another rebel soldier.
In April 1995 over 200 civilians, among them students and children, were massacred by Kony rebels in Atiak. The army said the attack was aimed at the Atiak army garrison and to loot shops and markets for food.
There is no food in the villages and the civilians are fleeing from them. The rebels are under pressure from us. They are fatigued and hungry, Kazini said. I have a lot of hope that the rebels will be wiped out.
Three rebels were also killed and five
others captured late Saturday at Kati Kati, six miles (9.7 kilometres)
Brig. James Kazini, Fourth Division commander, promoted last week, confirmed the attack. He said civilians had cooperated with the army in its war with the rebels.
Over a week ago, another Kony rebel group numbering some 100 entered Gulu from Sudan. They brought military supplies and reinforced another group of some 300, led by Kony, which entered the country Aug 24.
Copyright =A9 1997 Panafrican News Agency. All Rights Reserved.
Material may not be redistributed, posted to any other location, published or used for broadcast without written authorization from the Panafrican News Agency. B.P. 4056, Dakar, Senegal.
Tel: (221) 24-13-95 | Fax: (221) 24-13-90 | E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
All PANA content and graphics is protected by copyright and international treaties and may not be copied, reproduced or re-used for any purpose without written permission.