Middle East and North Africa: Civil Unrest Emergency appeal n° MDR82001 operation update n° 12
GLIDE n° OT-2011-0000025-TUN/LBY/EGY/SYR/YEM/LEB/JOR
Period covered by this Ops Update: This operations update reports on the progress of activities planned in the Revised Emergency Appeal between 1 May and 7 June 2012, for North Africa, Yemen and Syria’s neighbouring countries. Progress against planned activities in Syria will be fully detailed in the final report.
Appeal target (current): The current Revised Emergency Appeal seeks CHF 18,673,301 in cash, kind, or services to assist 435,000 beneficiaries and is extended until the end of September 2012. A Final Report will be made available by the end of December 2012 (3 months after the end of the operation).
Appeal coverage: 80%
• CHF 150,000 was allocated on 24 January 2011, from the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies Disaster Relief Emergency Fund (DREF) to support the Tunisian Red Crescent (TRC) in its response to the civil unrest in Tunisia.
• On 12 February, a DREF allocation of CHF107,672 was provided to the Egyptian Red Crescent Society (ERCS) to help it deliver assistance to 10,000 beneficiaries as a result of the civil unrest in the country.
• On 25 February, a DREF allocation of CHF 59,374 was allocated to enable the Federation Middle East-North Africa (MENA) Zone conduct an emergency field mission in Egypt and Tunisia to assess the impact of the civil unrest in Libya.
• A Preliminary Emergency Appeal was launched on 1 March for CHF 4,458,090 for six months to assist 100,000 beneficiaries.
• The Emergency Appeal was revised on 24 March to an amount of CHF12,269,102 with the number of targeted beneficiaries increased to 150,000 and the timeframe extended to the end of December 2011.
• The Revised Emergency Appeal was adjusted further as of 17 May seeking a new total of CHF14,840,345 due to growing unrest in Syria and Yemen, greater contingency planning efforts and an overall increase in beneficiary targeting to 280,000 people.
• The Appeal was revised once again on 25 June 2011 seeking a total of CHF15, 145,920 to support new activities in Libya and growing needs in southern Tunisia. Overall beneficiary numbers were increased to 300,000 people and the timeframe extended to the end of 2011.
• The Appeal was extended on 29 December 2011 for six months (end of June 2012) seeking a total of CHF 15,145,920.
• The Appeal was revised on 26 March 2012 seeking a total of CHF 18,673,301 for 435,000 beneficiaries