Weekly Humanitarian Bulletin 24 June – 30 June 2011
• The UN Security Council authorises the establishment of a UN peacekeeping force for Abyei.
• An agreement on political and security arrangements in Blue Nile and South Kordofan is signed by the Government of Sudan and the Sudan People's Liberation Movement North (SPLM North). However, the two sides have not yet agreed on a ceasefire and fighting has continued in parts of South Kordofan with civilian casualties reported.
• The situation remains tense in Upper Nile, southern Sudan and forced recruitment and abduction of civilians and humanitarian workers by militias are reported.
• Inter-communal clashes in Jonglei State are reaching a critical level after months of build-up, with a large group of Lou Nuer and Dinka conducting retaliatory cattle raiding and attacks.
• The Darfur water conference appeals for US$1 billion to fund 65 water projects throughout Darfur.
To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit http://unocha.org/.