Sudan: COOPI activities in North Darfur
- collection, characterization and conservation of local landraces of millet, sorghum, sesame and groundnut;
- distribution of 40.66 MT of crop and vegetable seeds and 12,100 tools to 3,000 HHs;
- vaccinations and anti-parasitic treatments for 10,000 chickens and 68,020 shoats/donkeys belonging to 9,717 HHs;
- broadcasting of 1 MT of local pasture seeds through distribution to pastoral/nomadic HHs;
- preparation of educational material and field days on crop production and animal husbandry for 9,717 HHs;
- preparation of educational material and refreshing courses for 30 Community Animal Health Workers (CAHWs).
The Project is co-funded by ECHO and UNICEF, with whom COOPI is finalising specific agreements. ECHO's component includes equipment for agricultural stations, rehabilitation of 16 boreholes and support costs. UNICEF is involved in the rehabilitation of 42 hand-dug wells and in the training of 58 water committees.
COOPI will start its field activities during the month of December 2004.