Sri Lanka Tsunami: OCHA Situation Report No. 1
OCHA Situation Report No. 1
The Government of Sri Lanka has made a request for international assistance.
1. On 26 December 2004, between 0058 hours GMT and 0738 hours GMT, a series of earthquakes occurred in the area of the western coast of Northern Sumatra, Andaman Islands and Nicobar Islands. The two strongest earthquakes had the magnitude of 8.9 on the Richter Scale (0058 hours GMT, 3.30 North, 95.78East, off western coast of Northern Sumatra) and 7.3 on the Richter Scale (0421 GMT, 6.90 North, 92.95 East, Nicobar Islands). (source: United States Geological Survey).
2. The earthquakes have caused tsunamis impacting several countries in the region. OCHA is contact with the United Nations Resident Coordinators concerned.
3. The Government of Sri Lanka has declared a state of emergency and requested international assistance. Preliminary data indicate more than 500 dead.
4. The immediate needs are portable sanitation facilities, medical supplies, tents and helicopters for evacuation of people.
5. A United Nations Disaster Assessment and Coordination (UNDAC) Team has been requested by the UN Resident Coordinator and is being dispatched by OCHA today.
6. OCHA will make an initial emergency cash grant of USD 50,000.
7. Separate reports will be done on other countries as information becomes available.
8. OCHA is prepared to serve as a channel for cash contributions to be used for immediate relief assistance, in coordination with relevant organizations in the United Nations system. For banking details, please contact the desk officers indicated below. OCHA provides donors with written confirmation and pertinent details concerning the utilization of the funds contributed.
Telephone: +41-22-917 12 34
Fax: +41-22-917 00 23
In case of emergency only: Tel. +41-22-917 20 10
Mr. Erik Haegglund
Direct Tel. +41-22-917 3299
(GVA) Ms. Madeleine Moulin-Acevedo direct Tel. +41-22-917 31 60
(N.Y.) Ms. Stephanie Bunker, direct Tel. +1-917-367 5126
To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit http://unocha.org/.