Sri Lanka: TRO Situation Report 16 - 30 Jun 2007
Districts: Mannar, Vavuniya,Mullaitivu, Kilinochchi, Vadamaradchchi East (Jaffna)
Vision: A just, peaceful, secure and democratic country free from hunger, poverty, health hazards, illiteracy, environmental degradation and all forms of exploitation and discrimination based on race, gender, age, religion, ethnicity, language, caste, and/or national origin marching towards prosperity.
Mission: The mission of the Tamils Rehabilitation Organization is to provide immediate relief and short term and long term rehabilitation and development for the people of Srilanka.
- There have been heavy Multi barrel, Artillery shelling continuously day and night at the border areas of the Mukamallai , Puliyankulam , Mannar , Manalaru and Poonakary areas in Vanni
- Roofs of 104 houses and useful trees damaged by the wind suddenly at Oddusuddan, Thunukkai areas in Mullaitivu District.
- Claymore attacked by DPU on 26.06.2007 at Mulankavil in Kilinochchi District.
- Mr.Asirvatham Thavam Father of 4 children killed on the spot by SL artillery shelling on 16/06/2007 at Maruthankery in Vadamaradchchi East
- Husband and wife were wounded by SL army shelling on 20.06.2007 in Vadamaradchchi East are given below:-
1. Pedurupillai Francis sabarimuthu(husband) - age 38
2. Sabarimuthu Olinkanistra(Wife) - age 33
- 03 individual IDPs wounded by SL army shelling at Madhu area is given below:
Name - Age - Place
1. K.Anusan - age 17 - Periyapandivirichchan
2. M.Santhiyoko - age 63 - Sinnapandivirichchan
3. M.Thavayoki - age 52 - Thadchanamaruthamadhu
- A9 Road connecting the North with other provinces is open only on three days Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays in a week
- People of Vanni Region are suffering by increased prices of food items and fuel.
- People displaced from coastal areas of Vadamaradchchi East to Chundikulam Village have acute shortage of drinking water and There is a need for a temporary shelter. Transportation of essential items is very difficult due to bad condition of roads. There is no hospitals only once in a month mobile clinic. There is a School of Vettilaikeny has 01-09 years classes with 2 permanent teachers and 03 volunteer teachers is only functioning at the area
- The World Bank approved Rs.1000 million to reconstruct the Iranaimadhu tank but no MOD permission to ADB so far to Kilinochchi.
- Tsunami co-finance fund Rs.250,000/per beneficiary from world bank is still frozen for Mullaitivu District.
- General Hospital Mullaitivu got difficult with fuel for 8 month restricted by the GOSL
- Prices are increasing to the essential food items and fuel
Displacement and activities
Over the past two decades Tamil people in Srilanka have been affected by War and violence unleashed by the SL Army and the Para military groups. They also were affected by Tsunami in December 2004.
However the violence increased in December 2005, after the New Government won the election in November 2005. A number of People have been displaced in North East by Multi barrel artillery shelling, Ariel attacks, forward troop movements of the SL army and DPU attacks.
The displaced people are assisted by NGOs UN Organizations and Local NGOs. Some areas are not covered by INGOs for reasons of security.
TRO with its partner organizations are on the spot to provide the essential needs drinking water, food , cloth, shelters and transportation.
Ever the ceasefire agreement conduct bring the descried normalcy due to increased military and paramilitary activities.