Horn of Africa Drought Crisis Situation Report No. 7
This report is produced by OCHA in collaboration with humanitarian partners. It was issued by OCHA Eastern Africa. It covers the period from 25 July to 28 July. The next report will be issued on or around the 2 nd of August.
I. HIGHLIGHTS/KEY PRIORITIES
• 12,391,394 people are in need in the Horn of Africa, up from 11.6 million on 26 July. An additional 800,000 people in Kenya are in need of food aid from August, and the numbers of Somali refugees continue to rise.
• About 1.25 million children across Southern Somalia are in urgent need of life saving interventions and 640,000 are acutely malnourished.
• Six people have been killed and 39 wounded in fighting between AU forces and Al-Shabaab in Mogadishu.
• While only partial access is granted to central Somalia and WFP has no access to southern areas,
WFP have started airlifting food into Mogadishu, Gedo and Wajir, on forwarding to Dolow.
• 1,300 new refugees arrive daily to Kenya, but some 300 a day to Ethiopia, down from a peak of 2,000
To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit http://unocha.org/.