Climate Update Pacific Issue 02, January, 2013
In this Climate Update, highlights include:
· Between 9 and 11 named Tropical Cyclones were forecast for the 2012 / 2013 South Pacific tropical cyclone season. 3 named Tropical Cyclones have occurred in the South Pacific so far.
· 11 Tropical Depressions have formed in the South Pacific since the beginning of the Tropical Cyclone Season.
· In the South Pacific, one Tropical Depression increased in intensity to Category 3 (Tropical Cyclone Garry) and two to Category 4 (Tropical Cyclone Evan and Freda).
· The North Pacific has experienced one Category 5 (Tropical Cyclone Bopha) which passed over southern Palau.
· In late February and early March more disturbed weather is expected when the Madden Julian Oscillation wave passes through the South Pacific.
· El Niño-Southern Oscillation (ENSO) is expected to remain in neutral range.
To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit http://unocha.org/.