Typhoon Chata'an toll rises to 30 in the Philippines

Report
from Agence France-Presse
Published on 10 Jul 2002
MANILA, July 10 (AFP) - The death toll from rains brought on by Typhoon Chata'an in the Philippines rose to 30 with four people still missing and 41 injured, the civil defense office said Wednesday.

The toll included three dead and two missing South Koreans from a motorboat that capsized at the height of the rains on Saturday.

The latest casualties were three people found drowned in Rizal and Pampanga provinces, north of Manila, civil defense reports showed.

Although the rains had eased, many areas north of Manila remained flooded with residents forced to use makeshift boats to get around.

Several mountain roads were blocked by landslides. Initial damage estimate from the rains, which were exacerbated by the passing of typhoons Chata'an and Nakri, has risen to nearly 64 million pesos (1.25 million dollars), the civil defense office said.

More than 13,000 people remained in evacuation centers even though floods in some areas were abating.

Typhoon Nakri, which was charted near the Philippines earlier this week, has since moved northeast, and its effect is expected to lessen, the weather office said.

However monsoon rains were expected to continue over northern Philippines and residents of low-lying areas were warned to take precautions.

mm/nj AFP

Copyright (c) 2002 Agence France-Presse
Received by NewsEdge Insight: 07/09/2002 22:32:38

Agence France-Presse:

©AFP: The information provided in this product is for personal use only. None of it may be reproduced in any form whatsoever without the express permission of Agence France-Presse.