745 families displaced by floods in Davao Region

Report
from Government of the Philippines
Published on 22 Nov 2012 View Original

By Jeanevive D. Abangan

TAGUM CITY, Nov. 22 (PIA) -- Floods affected a total of 745 families when an inter-tropical convergence zone last November 20 (Tuesday) brought heavy rains to the provinces of Davao del Norte, Compostela Valley and Davao Oriental.

Reports from Office of Civil Defense (OCD) XI Regional Director Liza R. Mazo said these families were residents of 32 barangays in nine towns of the three flood-affected Davao Region provinces.

Davao Oriental was hardly hit as two persons drowned with one still missing as of this writing.

Casualties were identified as Nicholas Rota, 11-year-old resident of Barangay Poblacion in San Isidro and Romeo Luis, 55-year-old resident of Barangay Kabagayan, Tarragona. Missing was Dindo Ugapang, 15 years of age and resident of Barangay Bitaogan in San Isidro, also in Davao Oriental.

In Compostela Valley, a total of 428 families were affected in nine barangays of the towns of Compostela, Montevista, Monkayo, Nabunturan and New Bataan.

Mazo revealed that Provincial Gov. Arturo T. Uy , at the height of raining yesterday, issued a memorandum suspending classes at all levels and stopping mining activities in the entire province of Compostela Valley.

Incident Command System (ICS) in affected towns were then activated and the Compostela Valley Emergency Rescue Team (COVERT) was then deployed to flooded areas to assist MDRRMC operation.

In Davao Del Norte, a total of 17 families experienced flooding yesterday in 11 barangays in the municipalities of Kapalong and Asuncion when Saug and Liboganon Rivers overflowed.

At the surge of flood waters in both rivers yesterday afternoon, the Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction Management Office (PDRRMO) advised preemptive evacuation to keep residents along the river banks safe.

Waters started to subside as of the morning of Nov. 21 (Wednesday) but some affected families in Kapalong were still at the evacuation site in Barangay Maniki while others were reportedly staying with their relatives.

In Davao Oriental, flooding was monitored in the towns of Governor Generoso and San Isidro, only but such occurrence affected 300 families in 12 barangays.

As of Wednesday (Nov. 21) morning affected families in Governor Generoso were still staying at the evacuation centers while those in San Isidro had already gone home when flood waters subsided.

Other than the provincial rescue team of Davao Oriental, a convergence of rescue units went their way to help the rescue operations in the affected areas in the towns of San Isidro and Governor Generoso.

Others which came to help the Municipal Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council (MDRRMC) were the Philippine National Police, the Bureau of Fire Protection and RECON.

Mazo said that the Regional Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council and the OCD XI would continue to be on red alert for emergencies in case rains would continue. (RGA/ JMDA/PIA XI)