Pakistan: Humanitarian Dashboard (as of 15 Oct 2013)

Infographic
from UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
Published on 15 Oct 2013 View Original

Nearly 1 million people (165,546 registered families) remain displaced across Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) and the Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA) as a result of ongoing insecurity since 2008. Only 102,000 people (17,065 families) have so far returned to FATA since January 2013. The current focus is to facilitate the return of 79,839 people who were displaced from the Tirah Valley earlier this year, of whom 20,787 have so far been supported to return home.

The humanitarian community continues to complement the relief response of the Government of Pakistan in Balochistan Province following two powerful earthquakes on 24 and 28 September 2013. The earthquakes measured 7.7 and 6.8 on the Richter scale respectively.
Findings of a rapid assessment conducted by 11 non-governmental organizations indicate the earthquakes have affected over 27,000 families or 138,000 people, and damaged or destroyed nearly 20,000 houses in assessed areas. The Balochistan Provincial Disaster Management Authority estimates at least 30,000 families (200,000 people) have been affected in Awaran, Kech, Kharan, Panjgur, Washuk and Gwadar districts. Awaran and Kech districts have been hit the hardest and are therefore prioritized for humanitarian response.

Heavy monsoon rains experienced in August 2013 have triggered flash floods and caused widespread losses and damage across the country. The National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) reports the monsoon rains have affected nearly 1.5 million people, more that 1.4 million acres of crops and damaged or destroyed more than 79,000 houses, as of 23 September 2013. Government authorities, supported by humanitarian partners, have provided assistance in the flood-affected areas. The rains have now largely stopped and major rivers are registering normal flows.

At present, 1.61 million registered Afghan refugees reside in Pakistan. Of these, 37 per cent live in 76 refugee villages in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Balochistan and Punjab. The remaining 63 per cent live in urban and rural areas. The majority of Afghan refugees come from five Provinces in Afghanistan - Nangarhar, Kabul, Kunduz, Logar and Paktya. On 25 July 2013, the Government of Pakistan approved a National Policy on the Management and Repatriation of Afghan Refugees, with the aim of implementing the regional Solutions Strategy in domestic policy. As part of the measures, Cabinet extended the Proof of Registration (PoR) cards of Afghan refugees until December 2015.
The UN and the Government of Pakistan are assisting Afghan refugees through Refugee Affected and Hosting Areas (RAHA) initiative which aims to preserve asylum space in Pakistan by supporting local communities in areas where refugees are hosted. RAHA supports infrastructure, environment, education, health, livelihoods, and water and sanitation in hosting areas, to mitigate the impact of the refugee population living alongside the local community. A total of 1,779 projects have benefited 3.9 million people since 2009.
More than 3.8 million Afghans have returned to their country of origin since UNHCR began its assisted voluntary repatriation programme in 2002 – the largest return operation in the world. Some 5,660 families (27,648 individuals) have returned in 2013.

UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs:

To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit http://unocha.org/.