Alert: IDP Crisis in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa

Report
from ACT Alliance
Published on 11 May 2012 View Original

1.Brief description of the emergency

Since January 2012, ongoing conflict in the Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA) and parts of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa have caused large-scale displacements across the region. In recent weeks, the number of IDPs has been growing at an alarming rate. In mid-April, reports indicated that the total IDP population in FATA and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa had reached 147,329 families.

2.Impact

The IDPs have been settling in off-camp locations in the districts of Peshawar, Kohat, and Nowsehra. With increasingly hot weather, the IDPs continue to face many hardships, particularly those who come from cooler climates and face difficulty in adjusting.

According to reports in early April, UNHCR representatives are engaged in registration of IDPs. A majority of these registrations include women and children. Observations from Bara Tehsil have revealed that communities require food, clean drinking water, non-food items (NFIs), and health care. At the same time displaced families have reported destroyed livelihoods and sources of income.
IDPs can register at Jalozai Camp in Peshawar and be eligible to receive assistance. However, more than half of the off-camp IDPs are not registered due to a lack of identification, overcrowding at the registration point, and the difficultly for unaccompanied women and children. According to an inter-agency report, 85% of the offcamp IDPs are in Peshawar, with the remaining 15% in Kohat and Nowshera.