Weekly Report On Israeli Human Rights Violations in the Occupied Palestinian Territory (10-16 January 2012)
Israeli Forces Continue Systematic Attacks against Palestinian Civilians and Property in the occupied Palestinian territory (oPt)
- 4 Palestinian civilians, including a child, were killed in the West Bank and Gaza Strip.
- The 4 civilians were killed at the border area as a result of excessive use of force.
2 Palestinian civilians were shot by the settlers in the northern West Bank.
The Israeli forces conducted 40 incursions into Palestinian communities in the West Bank.
- At least 29 Palestinian civilians, including 4 children, were arrested in the West.
- A young man and a child were arrested when they attempted to cross the border into Israel.
- The Israeli forces continued to use excessive force against peaceful protests in the West Bank.
- A Palestinian civilian was wounded in al-Nabi Saleh peaceful protest, northwest of Ramallah.
- 6 international and Israeli activists were arrested in the abovementioned protest.
- Israel has continued to impose a total closure on the oPt and has isolated the Gaza Strip from the outside world.
- The Israeli forces established dozens of checkpoints in the West Bank.
- At least 5 Palestinian civilians were arrested at checkpoints in the West Bank.
- Israel has continued efforts to create a Jewish majority in East Jerusalem.
- 2 houses were demolished in Beit Hanina and Sour Baher, due to which 15 Palestinians became homeless.
· Israel has continued settlement activities in the West Bank, and Israeli settlers have continued to attack Palestinian civilians and property.
- 2 houses and 2 agricultural rooms were demolished south of Hebron.
- The settlers uprooted 210 olive trees in Nablus.
Israeli violations of international law and international humanitarian law in the oPt continued during the reporting period (10– 16 January 2013):
The Israeli forces killed 4 Palestinian civilians, including a child, and wounded 4 others in the West Bank and the Gaza Strip. 2 were killed and a third one was wounded in the Gaza Strip, while 2 others were killed and a third one was wounded in the West Bank. In addition, 2 other civilians were shot by Isareli settlers.
In the West Bank, the Israeli forces killed 2 Palestinian civilians, including a child, and wounded a third. The 2 others were shot by settlers. On 12 January 2013, the Israeli forces positioned along the security fence, south of al-Ramadin village in the south of Hebron, killed a Palestinian worker named Oday al-Daraweesh, 21, from Doura in the southwest of Hebron.
On 15 January 2013, the Israeli forces killed a Palestinian child from Budros village, west of Ramallah and al-Bireh, while he was with his friends near the annexation wall. In the same context, the Israeli forces continued to systematically use excessive force against peaceful protests organized by Palestinians and Israeli and international activists against the construction of the annexation wall and settlement activities in the West Bank. As a result, a 21-year old civilian was wounded by a live bullet to the left cheek during al-Nabi Saleh weekly protest, northwest of Ramallah. Moreover, the Israeli forces arrested 6 international and Israeli activists and transported them to an unknown destination. Besides, dozens of Palestinians suffered from tear gas inhalation or sustained bruises. They were all treated on the spot.
Additionally, 2 Palestinian civilians were wounded in 2 separate shooting incidents carried out by armed settlers in Nablus on 10 January 2013. The first incident happened when a group of settlers from "Yitzhar" settlement attacked a number of Palestinian civilians from Ourif village, south of Nablus. The other incident took place when an armed settler opened fire at the Palestinian civilians, wounding Ammar Masamir, 20, was wounded.
In the Gaza Strip, the Israeli forces killed 2 Palestinian civilians and wounded a third one. On 11 January 2013, the Israeli forces stationed along the border fence, east of Jabalya in the northern Gaza Strip killed a Palestinian civilian and wounded a second one.
On 14 January 2013, the Israeli forces killed a Palestinian civilian from Beit Lahia in the northern Gaza Strip while he was standing with his friends in a farmland 1,200 meters away from the border between the Gaza Strip and Israel.
The full report is available online at: http://www.pchrgaza.org/portal/en/index.php?option=com_content&view=arti...