Occupied Palestinian Territory: Escalation in hostilities Gaza and southern Israel - Situation Report, 22 November 2012
• An Egyptian-brokered ceasefire between Israel and Hamas came into effect at 21:00 hrs, 22 November
• Since 14 November, 158 Palestinians are reported to have been killed; this includes 103 civilians, of whom at least 33 are children and 13 women. 1,269 Palestinians were injured (MoH), the majority civilians.
• Six Israelis (four civilians and two soldiers) were killed and 224 were injured, the vast majority civilians.
• The UN and partner agencies are working to quickly assess and respond to immediate needs and fully resume regular distributions and services
• Priorities include ensuring proper treatment for the wounded; psycho-social support for those traumatized, especially children; and addressing the shelter needs of those families whose homes have been destroyed.
• The sustained opening of the crossings into Gaza, particularly Kerem Shalom, is critical to facilitate the movement of people and essential supplies.
To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit http://unocha.org/.