Escalation in hostilities Gaza and southern Israel, Situation Report (as of 5 December 2012)
- The Egyptian-brokered ceasefire between Israel and Hamas continues to hold.
- An Inter-cluster Rapid Assessment (IRA) documenting the humanitarian needs emerging from the hostilities was completed by 28 November.
- Addressing the basic humanitarian needs of approx. 3,000 people still displaced due to the loss of, or damage, sustained to their homes is a key priority.
- Other key challenges include rehabilitation of damaged residences, schools and productive assets; provision of psychosocial support to children; clearance of explosive remnants of war; and supply of essential drugs and disposables out of stock.
- The financial requirements to respond to the priority needs as a result of the escalation in violence in 2012 through the first half of 2013 are estimated at $ 60-70 million.
To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit http://unocha.org/.