Nigeria Humanitarian Sitrep No. 7, 1-15 April 2017

Report
from UN Children's Fund
Published on 15 Apr 2017

Highlights

  • International Organization of Migration (IOM) Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) Round XV (March, 2017) estimates a total of 1.69 million internally displaced people (IDP) across Adamawa, Borno and Yobe, of which, 84 per cent are in Borno and children represent 56 per cent of the total IDP population and nine per cent are infants under a year old.

  • Influx of new Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) in most outer LGAs of Borno state such as Dikwa, Ngala, Bama, Gwoza/Pulka, Konduga and Mobbar continues with over 5,000 people arriving in the first two weeks of April as internal displacement and return continues from Niger, Chad and Cameroon. The numbers may increase due to intensified military interventions before rainy season sets in combined with further potential influx of returnees from neighboring countries.

  • Around 55 cases of meningitis have been reported in Yobe state. In March, as part of mass vaccination campaign, UNICEF managed vaccine logistic and social mobilization targeting 2 to 29 year-old covering 665,817 people in six local government areas (LGA) in Borno.

  • Inter Sector Working Group (ISWG) mission to Rann found 51,690 people hosted there with 5,000 new arrivals registered between 21 March to 7 April, highlighting current trend of increasing daily arrivals from villages in Kala Balge and also from Dikwa, Bama, Ngala and from Cameroon. UNICEF has initiated response to meet urgent WASH and non-food item needs.

8.5 million Projected number of people in need of humanitarian assistance in the north east states of Borno, Adamawa and Yobe for 2017 (Humanitarian Response Plan, 2017)

1.69 million IDPs in Borno, Adamawa and Yobe states, over 56 per cent are children (DTM Round XV, March 2017)

4.4 million Children in need of humanitarian assistance (HAC 2017)

UNICEF Appeal 2017
US$ 146.9 million

Situation Overview & Humanitarian Needs

IOM DTM Round XV (March 2017) estimates a total of 1.69 million people still internally displaced across the three northeastern states of Adamawa, Borno and Yobe, of which 84 per cent are in Borno alone. Children represent 56 per cent of the total IDP population and nine per cent are infants under a year old. The large majority (68 per cent) of IDPs continue to live in host communities, with the remaining 32 per cent living in camps. The number of identified returnees has increased to 1.15 million people1 . Priority needs cited by 69 per cent of IDPs surveyed in sites by IOM indicate that food is the greatest unmet need, followed by non-food items at 16 per cent.

In Yobe state, 55 cases of meningitis have been reported with no confirmed cases reported in Borno. UNICEF is an active member of the newly set up meningitis task force which is coordinating the preparedness and response activities through surveillance, case management, communication and social mobilization.

An Inter Sectoral Working Group (ISWG) mission to Rann found 51,6902 people now hosted there. In addition, 5,000 new arrivals were registered between 21 March to 7 April, highlighting current trend of increasing daily arrivals from villages in Kala Balge, but also from Dikwa, Bama, Ngala and from across the border with Cameroon. The most pressing needs raised by the community include food, water, shelter/non-food items for households, medicines and education. Main findings from ISWG mission around education and child protection reveal that some 16,000 children from returnee and IDP population are currently not attending any school, due to the absence of any learning, recreational activities or psychosocial support in Rann. Child protection sector noted the need for scale-up with the deployment of a partner to identify unaccompanied and separated children (UASC), children associated with armed forces and groups (CAAFAG), children at risk and to mobilize and train community volunteersto provide psychosocial support.

In Borno, following the UNICEF monitoring visit to Pulka3 with the Deputy Humanitarian Coordinator, UNICEF’s WASH, education and child protection teams conducted a follow-up mission (March 31 to 4th April 2017) to assess the overall situation of returnees and to initiate immediate actions, details of which are included below.