2010 Flood Disaster in Kosofo – Lagos State, Nigeria: A Summarized Report on Causes and Mitigating Measures
- The area is completely a wetland. See figure 2.
- Annually, more wetlands are lost due to rapid urbanization being experienced in Ikorodu and its environs through sand filling.
- Most structures are raised indiscriminately.
- Wastes are disposed into the canals causing blockages. See figure 3
- The river/canal is heavily covered by water hyacinth/sea weeds. See figure 4
- GPS readings indicated that elevations of most parts of the area are less than Zero degrees. Showing that it is below sea level.