Programme Report January to June 2011
This six-month report describes the programme and activities of the Thailand Burma Border Consortium (TBBC) during the period January to June 2011.
During this period TBBC was a consortium with eleven NGOs from nine countries. TBBC’s main focus is to provide food, shelter, non-food items and capacity-building support to Burmese refugees and displaced persons. It also engages in research into the root causes of displacement and refugee outflows. Membership is open to other NGOs with similar interests. TBBC’s head office is in Bangkok, with field offices in the border towns of Mae Hong Son, Mae Sariang, Mae Sot, Umphang and Kanchanaburi.
TBBC’s programme is evolving as circumstances change and in recent years increasing emphasis has been placed on promoting self-reliance of displaced people through the utilisation and development of their own resources. This has included the support of livelihood activities. TBBC will be willing to support voluntary repatriation of the refugees when the situation allows safe and dignified return to Burma, and to assist, as appropriate, in their subsequent rehabilitation.
TBBC works in cooperation with the Royal Thai Government and in accordance with regulations of the Ministry of Interior. It is an Executive Member of the Committee for Coordination of Services to Displaced Persons in Thailand (CCSDPT), committed to coordination of all humanitarian service and protection activities with the other 16 NGO members of CCSDPT and the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR). TBBC’s programmes are consistent with the CCSDPT/ UNHCR Strategic Framework for Durable Solutions and are implemented through partnerships with refugee committees, community-based organisations and local groups.
TBBC is a signatory to the Code of Conduct for The International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement and NGOs in Disaster Relief, and as such, aims to be, impartial, and independent from any political viewpoint.
TBBC is a company limited by guarantee in England and Wales, Company number 05255598, Charity Commission number 1109476. TBBC’s registered office is at 35 Lower Marsh, London SE1 7RL.
Donations can be made through the TBBC website www.tbbc.org TBBC Strategic Plan Objectives, 2009-2013
• Pursue change leading to durable solutions while ensuring a protective environment for displaced people of Burma.
• Increase self-reliance and reduce aid dependency by promoting and supporting livelihood opportunities
• Ensure continued access to adequate and appropriate food, shelter and non-food items prioritising support for the most vulnerable
• Support mutually accountable community-based management which ensures equity, diversity and gender balance
• Develop TBBC organizational structure and resources to anticipate and respond to changes, challenges and opportunities