Southern Africa Floods and Cyclones Situation Update# 1
I. HIGHLIGHTS/KEY PRIORITIES
• Tropical Cyclone Funso is still in the Mozambique Channel, bringing rainfall to the coasts of Mozambique and Madagascar, but not expected to make landfall.
• More than 51,000 have been affected by flooding in southern Mozambique alone, and information is expected shortly on the impact of Tropical Cyclone Funso in central and northern Mozambique.
• In southern Malawi, rescue and evacuation operations are underway in flood-affected areas. An estimated 4,000 people are affected.
• Flooding has occurred in the provinces of Limpopo and Mpumalanga in South Africa, affecting hundreds of people; one municipality in Limpopo Province declared a disaster area.
• Rainfall is expected to continue over Mozambique and Malawi during the next two weeks, which could worsen flood conditions.
To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit http://unocha.org/.