Mozambique Landslides Report No. 1
1. The UN Resident Coordinator in Maputo reports that the landslides occurred in the central Mozambican province of Zambezia on 20 January. According to the latest information, 47 people were killed, while another 40 remain missing in Milange district.
2. Heavy rains and landslides also interrupted connections between the provincial capital and smaller towns in Tete and Sofala province.
3. The Government's inter-sectoral brigade is presently in Milange district, assessing the situation.
4. No official request for international appeal has been received by DHA so far.
5. DHA, in cooperation with the UN Resident Coordinator in Maputo, is monitoring the situation and will issue further updates as necessary.
6. For coordination purposes, donors are requested to inform DHA Geneva, as indicated below, of relief missions, pledges or contributions and their corresponding values by item.
Telephone number: + 41 22 917 1234
In case of emergency only: + 41 22 917 2010
Desk Officer: Ms. Kayo Gotoh, direct tel: +41-22-917-1258
Contact for medias: Ms M. Moulin-Acevedo, direct tel: + 41 22 917 2856
Telex 41 42 42 dha ch
Fax: + 41 22 917 0023
E-mail: info at dha.unicc.org
= DEPARTMENT OF HUMANITARIAN AFFAIRS +