Mongolia: Flash floods OCHA Situation Report No. 1
OCHA Situation Report No. 1
Mongolia - Flash floods
occurred on 18 July 2003
This situation report is based on information provided by the Mongolian Government through the UN Resident Coordinator's office in Ulaanbaatar.
Event and Impact
1. On 18 July, heavy rainfall and hail occurred in most of regions in Mongolia, causing flash floods in the capital Ulaanbaatar and several provinces. The affected areas are Districts of Bayangol, Chingeltei, Sukhbaatar, Songinohairhan and Bayanzurh in Ulaanbaatar, Provincial centers of Bulgan, Gobi-Altai, Bayanhongor and Orhon-Uul, Soums of Tushig, Mogod, Tseel and Erdene in Bulgan Province, Tsogt-Ovoo soum in Umnugovi Province, and Halkhgol soum in Dornod Province.
2. As of 24 July, 300 families were affected, 15 people were killed, and 30 families were made homeless. A total of 93 houses have been destroyed and the infrastructure such as water dams and channels, roads and a bridge were destroyed. The economic loss is estimated at MNT 300 million (USD 270,000)
3. The State Board for Civil Defense (SBCD) made a disaster assessment and undertook necessary rescue and relief operations. The central and local government supported the affected people, particularly the people who lost their houses.
4. OCHA has not received any request for international assistance from the Government.
5. OCHA is in close contact with the UNRC's office in Ulaanbaatar, and will revert with further information, if it becomes available.
Telephone: +41-22-917 12 34
Fax: +41-22-917 00 23
In case of emergency only: Tel. +41-22-917 20 10
Ms. S. DeSouza / Mr. S. Nakajima
Direct Tel. +41-22-917 16 36 / 40 34
(in GVA) - Ms. Elizabeth Byrs, direct Tel. +41-22-917 26 53
(in N.Y.) - Ms. Stephanie Bunker, direct Tel. +1-212-963 87 40
To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit http://unocha.org/.