UNICEF Mali Situation Report October 2013
· UNICEF continues to support the Ministry of Education through the Back to School initiative, which launched nationwide on 21 October with opening ceremonies taking place in Bamako, Gao, Kayes, Koulikoro, Ségou, Sikasso, as well as a ceremony in Timbuktu including the Prime Minister, the Minister of Education, the UNICEF Country Representative and UNICEF Regional Director.
· The resumption of schooling in Kidal has been postponed due to security constraints, however UNICEF has pre-positioned school materials through the Governor of Kidal in collaboration with local partner GARDL for four schools and three preschools.
· UNICEF partners rehabilitated the water supply system in Nampala, in Ségou region benefiting 12,000 people.
· The first instances of family reunification, including cross-border reunification, have taken place this month, with seven children previously associated with armed groups returned to their families.
· UNICEF requires $91.9 million to provide urgent assistance to children in Mali. So far, approximately $35.4 million or 39 per cent of the required funding has been received.