Tropical Cyclone Haruna Situation Report No. 4, 7 March 2013
- To date, Tropical Cyclone Haruna has caused 26 deaths and injured 127 people, with 16 people still missing in Toliara district.
- Around 2,000 people are still displaced in temporary sites in Toliara district, while all those displaced in Morombe, Sakaraha and Ambovombe districts have returned home.
- Around 4,000 learners are not receiving lessons in Toliara district as displaced people are staying at some schools.
- While response is continuing, the peak of the emergency is coming to an end. Needs are relatively well covered and the early recovery phase is starting.
- Shelter is still a concern in Toliara district; some of the 4,000 households located in the flooded area below the dyke lost their property during the evacuation and displacement. Their houses are also at permanent risk of floods, pending repairs to the dyke.
- Significant damage to crops, mainly maize and rice, are being reported, with a large part of the population at risk of food insecurity in the coming months.
- As most prepositioned stocks were used during the peak of emergency phase, and considering that there is still six weeks before the end of the cyclone season, there is a need to replenish relief item stocks.