Cyclone Giovanna Situation Report #1– 14 February 2012
I. HIGHLIGHTS/KEY PRIORITIES
• Tropical cyclone Giovanna made landfall on the eastern coast of Madagascar on 14 February as a category four (4) tropical cyclone. It is expected to pass the capital Antananarivo as a category 1 tropical cyclone and exit the western coast of the country in the next 24 hours.
• Giovanna is affecting some of the most densely populated districts in Madagascar, such as Toamasina, Antananarivo, Ambatolampy and Moramanga. Heavy rainfall and winds of up to 180km/h have been reported in all these districts. However, important damages are expected in the districts of Brickaville and Vatomandry, on the Eastern cost of Madagascar.
• Damage has been caused to public infrastructure
• Two deaths have been reported, no information available as yet on number affected.
• Preparedness measures had been undertaken before Giovanna made landfall, and aerial and rapid assessments will be conducted as soon as conditions allow.