Cyclone death toll in Madagascar rises to 25

Report
from Agence France-Presse
Published on 13 May 2003
ANTANANARIVO, May 13 (AFP) - The death toll from the cyclone that lashed the east coast of Madagascar last week has risen to 25 people and another four people are missing, the National Rescue Committee (CNS) said on Tuesday.

Nearly 22,000 people were affected when Cyclone Manou struck on May 8, leaving many homeless and thousands without power or water, the CNS said.

It said the actual toll could be higher still, since it had not been possible since the cyclone hit to re-establish contact with one of the areas worst hit -- the town of Vatomandry, around 140 kilometres (90 miles) south of the main east coast port of Toamasina.

"The road's still bocked and telephone lines are still down," a CNS official told AFP in the Indian Ocean island state.

The cyclone affected around 9,000 people in Vatomandry, which was 90-percent damaged and another 13,000 in Ilaka region, south of Vatomandry, the CNS said on Monday.

Prime Mininster Jacques Sylla and Interior Minister Jean Seth Rambeloalijoana have appealed to the international community to aid people affected by the cyclone.

The national utility company Jirama has rushed workers to the east of the Indian Ocean island to repair water and electricity networks.

bhl/gir/afm/ds

Copyright (c) 2003 Agence France-Presse
Received by NewsEdge Insight: 05/13/2003 11:18:32

Agence France-Presse:

©AFP: The information provided in this product is for personal use only. None of it may be reproduced in any form whatsoever without the express permission of Agence France-Presse.