Inter-agency regional response for Syrian refugees, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Turkey 11 - 18 April 2014
· UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and Joint UN-LAS Special Representative Lakhdar Brahimi have urged Syrian authorities to reconsider plans to conduct a presidential election in June 2014, and pledged to continue seeking and building on any opportunity to resolve the three-year civil war.
· Local authorities in south Lebanon and the Bekaa reported the arrival of some 500 individuals from Mazraat Beit Jin and Aasal Al-Ward during the reporting period.
· A new study by CARE of 384 Syrian and Jordanian families in urban areas of Jordan indicates that 43% of Syrian school-age children are out of school, with boys affected more than girls and teenagers affected more than younger children.
· UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador Orlando Bloom paid a visit to Jordan to meet children from Syria. The actor travelled to Irbid, where he visited Syrian families, and to Zaatari camp, where he met children in a UNICEF-supported school as well as a child protection space.
· The Child Protection/Gender-Based Violence working group in Zaatari camp has been separated into a GBV working group and a CP working group, favoring timely and effective response. The effective starting date is 19 April.
In this issue:
· Developing children’s skills through non-formal and informal education, p.2
· Training Syrian Educators on the INEE Minimum Standards, pg. 2
· IOM: Road to the Future, p.3
· Letters of hope: Encouraging words from Dadaad camp, Kenya, p.3
· Refugee Stories: I Look Forward to Better Days, p.4