Iran - Earthquake OCHA Situation Report No. 1
1. The UN Resident Coordinator in Iran informs that an earthquake measuring 6.4 at the Richter scale impacted provinces of Yazd, Kerman, and Hormozgan at hours 23:12 local time (19:42 GMT) on 14 March 1998. The epicenter is Golbaft, a small city of 12,000 people to the southeast of Kerman - 950 km southeast of Tehran. (The US Geological Survey reported that the quake measured 6.9 on the Richter scale and had its epicenter about 35 miles east-southeast of Kerman.)
2. According to the Disaster Task Force of the Iranian Ministry of Interior, the early reports from the area indicate that 5 people have been killed, 15 injured, and 15 villages damaged. The extent of damage is expected to be better known after assessment in day light within the next few hours.
3. The Disaster Task Force of Kerman Province has assumed emergency relief coordination role. Medical and search and rescue teams have been dispatched by the Red Crescent Society of the Islamic Republic to the impacted areas. Search and rescue still continues by governmental organizations with assistance of armed disciplinary forces.
4. No request has been made for national and international assistance.
5. OCHA is monitoring the situation, through the UN Resident Coordinator who is in close contacts with the Disaster Task Force, and will keep the international community informed of any development.
6. For coordination purposes, donors are requested to inform OCHA Geneva, as indicated below, of relief missions, pledges or contributions and their corresponding values by item.
Telephone number: + 41 22 917 1234
In case of emergency only: + 41 22 917 2010
Duty Officer: Ms. Kayo Gotoh, direct tel: +41-22-917-1258
Desk Officers: Ms. S. Metzner-Strack/Mr. R. Muller, direct tel: +41-22-917-2144
Telex 41 42 42 dha ch
Fax: + 41 22 917 0023
E-mail: info at dha.unicc.org
To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit http://unocha.org/.