India: Join the relief effort for Assam floods and Cyclone Aila - Update from CDRN
CDRN responded to the Assam flood relief operations by distributing 32,000 water purifying tablets donated by Aquatabs. Following the success of this donation in catering to the drinking water needs of the flood victims, Indo-Global Social Service Society (IGSSS) has placed an order for 100,000 tablets with Aquatabs.
Monsoon Impact Across India
- Rainfall/Flood Situation in India, Report by Ministry of Home Affairs, India, on 23rd July '09:The report provides an analysis of the current flood/rainfall situation across the country. It highlights that major states such as Orissa, Kerala, Gujarat, Karnataka, Assam, and West Bengal are facing a severe flood situation. NDMA have deployed 21coys of the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) in the districts of Assam, Bihar, Gujarat, Kerala, Maharashtra and West Bengal for rescue and relief operations.
- http://www.google.org found that certain search terms are good indicators of flu activity. Google Flu Trends uses aggregated Google search data to estimate flu activity tup to two weeks faster than traditional systems. Learn more
- Temporary shelter
- Water purification tablets
- Water containers
- Cooking utensils
- Mosquito nets
(Needs submitted by Caritas India and IGSSS)
- Assessment of Assam Flood Affected Areas, Report by Inter Agencies Group (IAG) Assam lists out the affected villages and population.
- Flood Response by IGSSS in North Lakhimpur report highlights that IGSSS has distributed water purification tablets and hygiene kits in North Lakhimpur district of Assam. Read more...
- CDRN Responds to the Assam Floods report provides information on Aquatabs' donation of water purifying tablets to organizations engaged in flood relief operations through CDRN.
- Food: Pre-cooked, baby food, dry rations, etc.
- Tarpaulin, temporary shelters
- Purification units and water purification tablets, e.g., halogen tablets
- Medicines: anti-diarrhea, anti-vomit
- Hygiene materials (bleaching agents, phenyl, etc.)
- Generators, fuel
- Mosquito nets
- Oil lamps
- Seeds for paddy cultivation and vegetable gardening
- Educational materials for children
(Above needs were submitted by: Udyama, Catholic Relief Services, Save the Children, SPADE, WWF, Actionaid, IGSSS, Mukti, Child in Need Institute (CINI), DRCSC, Sabuj Sangha, KJKS, Caritas India)
- Reach Out with Your Needs Through SMS Initiative by IAG West Bengal report lists contact details of relief agencies that are working in Aila-affected areas in West Bengal.
- UNICEF Provides Supplies for Cyclone-Affected West Bengal reports UNICEF's reaching out to the victims of Cyclone Aila in West Bengal. Read more...
- Oxfam Helping Aila Affected Communities Report mentions that the Cyclone survivors in Bangladesh are facing a severe risk of disease as the supply of safe drinking water is reaching crisis levels.