The African Union deploys Electoral Observations Missions in Rwanda, Swaziland, Guinea and Cameroon
Addis Ababa, 5th September, 2013: The Chairperson of the Commission of the African Union authorized the deployment of the Short Term Electoral Observations Missions (AUEOM) for the upcoming parliamentary elections in the Republic of Rwanda on 16th September 2013, in the Kingdom of Swaziland on 20th September 2013, in the Republic of Guinea on 24th September 2013 and in the Republic of Cameroon on 30th September 2013.
The Democracy and Electoral Assistance Unit of the Department of Political Affairs, African Union Commission, has in effect concluded plans for the deployment of the Observers according as mandated by the Commission.
These missions will take place according to the schedule below:
- Rwanda: from 7th to 21st September 2013
- Swaziland: from 13th to 25th September 2013
- Guinea: 16th September to 1st October, 2013
- Cameroon: 20th September to 5th October, 2013
It should be noted in the context of Guinea that a Long Term Observation Mission (LTO) is on the ground since 24th August 2013.
The AUEOM draws its mandate from various African Union Instruments and most importantly the:
- AU Guidelines on African Union Election Observation and Monitoring Missions, 2002
- The OUA/AU Declaration on Principles Governing Democratic Elections in Africa, 2002
- African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights, 1981 and
- African Charter on Democracy, Elections and Governance (ACDEG), 2007
The Missions will remain in constant interaction with the AU Commission and each will present a final report to the Chairperson of the Commission through the Unity for Democracy and Electoral Assistance and this, by the respective dates set for the elections.
For more information please contact:
Idrissa Kamara : email@example.com (Rwanda)
Chika Charles Aniekwe : Aniekwec@africa-union.org (Swaziland)
Guy Cyrille Tapoko : Tapokog@africa-union.org (Guinea)
Karine Kakasi Siaba : firstname.lastname@example.org (Cameroon)
Democracy and Electoral Assistance Unit
Political Affairs Department
African Union Commission