Commission Implementing Decision of 13.2.2013 financing emergency humanitarian actions in Fiji and Samoa from the general budget of the European Union (ECHO/-PA/BUD/2013/01000)
THE EUROPEAN COMMISSION Having regard to the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union,
Having regard to Council Regulation (EC) No.1257/96 of 20 June 1996 concerning humanitarian aid, and in particular Article 2 (a), Article 4 and Article 13 thereof;
(1) The Pacific Island States of Fiji and Samoa were severely affected by Cyclone Evan on its passage through the South Pacific when it made landfall in Samoa on 13 December, 2012 and in Fiji on 17 December 2012.
(2) The cyclone caused significant destruction to housing, agriculture and infrastructure.
The needs of affected populations include food, livelihood support, temporary shelter, repair of housing, water and sanitation.
(3) To reach populations in need, humanitarian aid should be channelled through nongovernmental Organisations (NGOs) and international organisations including United Nations (UN) agencies. Therefore, the European Commission should implement the budget by direct centralised management or by joint management.
(4) Humanitarian aid actions financed by this Decision should be of a maximum duration of 6 months.
(5) It is estimated that an amount of EUR 1,800,000 from budget article 23 02 01 of the general budget of the European Union is necessary to provide humanitarian assistance to over 15,000 people affacted by Cyclone Evan taking into account the available budget, other donors' contributions and other factors. The activities covered by this Decision may be financed in full in accordance with Article 277 of the Rules of Application of the Financial Regulation;
(6) This Decision constitutes a financing Decision within the meaning of Article 84 of Regulation (EU Euratom) No 966/2012 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 25 October 2012 on the financial rules applicable to the general budget of the Union ('the Financial Regulation') and Article 94 of the Commission Delegated Regulation (EU) No 1268/2012 of 29 October 2012 on the rules of application of Regulation (EU, Euratom) No 966/2012 of the European Parliament and of the Council on the financial rules applicable to the general budget of the Union ('the Rules of Application of the Financial Regulation' )
7) Pursuant to Article 13 of Council Regulation (EC) N° 1257/96, the opinion of the Humanitarian Aid Committee is not required,
HAS DECIDED AS FOLLOWS:
1 . In accordance with the objectives and general principles of humanitarian aid, the Commission hereby approves a maximum amount of EUR 1,800,000 for the financing of emergency humanitarian actions in Fiji and Samoa from budget article 23 02 01 of the 2013 general budget of the European Union.
2 . In accordance with Articles 2(a) and 4 of Council Regulation No.1257/96, the principal objective of this Decision is to provide emergency humanitarian aid to populations affected by Cyclone Evan in Fiji and Samoa.
The humanitarian actions shall be implemented in the pursuance of the following specific objective:
- to improve the humanitarian situation of populations affected by Cyclone Evan in Fiji and Samoa through multi-sectoral assistance.
A total of EUR 1,800,000 from budget article 23 02 01 is allocated to this specific objective.
1 . The period for the implementation of the actions financed under this Decision shall start on 13 December 2012. Expenditure under this Decision shall be eligible from the same date. The duration of individual humanitarian aid actions financed under this Decision shall be limited to a maximum of six months.
2 . If the implementation of individual actions is suspended owing to force majeure or other exceptional circumstances, the period of suspension shall not be taken into account in the implementing period of the Decision in respect of the action suspended.
3 . In accordance with the contractual provisions ruling the Agreements financed under this Decision, the Commission may consider eligible those costs arising and incurred after the end of the implementing period of the action which are necessary for its winding-up.
1 . In accordance with Article 277 of the Rules of Application of the Financial Regulation and having regard to the urgency of the action, the availability of other donors and other relevant operational circumstances, funds under this Decision may finance humanitarian actions in full.
2 . Actions supported by this Decision will be implemented either by non-profit-making organisations which fulfil the eligibility and suitability criteria established in Article 7 of Council Regulation (EC) No 1257/96 or by international organisations.
3 . The Commission shall implement the budget :
*either by direct management, with non-governmental organisations *or by joint management with international organisations that are signatories to the Framework Partnership Agreements (FPA) or the Financial Administrative Framework Agreement with the UN (FAFA) and which were subject to the four pillar assessment in line with Article 53d of the Council Regulation No 1605/2002 which continues to aplly to all commitments made up to 31 December 2013.
This Decision shall take effect on the date of its adoption.
Done at Brussels, 13.2.2013
For the Commission
Claus H. Sørensen,