Democratic Republic of the Congo - Complex Emergency Fact Sheet #4, Fiscal Year (FY) 2010
BUREAU FOR DEMOCRACY, CONFLICT, AND HUMANITARIAN ASSISTANCE (DCHA)
FOREIGN DISASTER ASSISTANCE (OFDA)
Note: The last fact sheet was dated April 29, 2010.
- On July 2, a tanker truck transporting fuel overturned in the town of Sange, South Kivu Province. The U.N. Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) reported that the incident had killed at least 240 people and injured approximately 196 others as of July 9. In response, USAID/OFDA provided $50,000 to Catholic Relief Services (CRS) for emergency response activities, including the provision of medical supplies.
- According to the U.N. Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (MONUC), approximately 230 of the peacekeepers scheduled to depart the DRC by the end of June 2010 withdrew from the country on June 16. On July 1, MONUC converted to the U.N. Stabilization Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (MONUSCO).
- On June 11, OCHA reported that conflict between armed groups hindered humanitarian access in Beni Territory, North Kivu Province, necessitating escorts for U.N. agencies traveling along the Beni-Oicha road.
- In mid-June, OCHA received reports of armed groups recruiting youths in Mwenga Territory, South Kivu Province In addition, hijackings in Fizi Territory necessitated that humanitarian agencies travel in convoys, posing significant logistical constraints.
- As of June 11, humanitarian agencies had suspended humanitarian assistance to 3,500 households in Ango and Bili towns, Bas-Uélé District, Orientale Province, due to residents' reports of LRA presence in the area.
- The May 26 reopening of the road between Ingende and Nkalamba territories in Equateur District, Equateur Province-which closed in 1997-should improve humanitarian access to approximately 130,000 people in the province, according to OCHA.
- On June 9, U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon named former U.S. Ambassador to the DRC, Roger A. Meece, as the U.N. Special Representative of the Secretary-General in the DRC and Head of MONUSCO.