Cuba Hurricane Lili Situation Report No.8
1. Through UNDP/DHA Resident Representative of Cuba, the Cuban Civil Defense has transmitted the following update on damage:
6,369 homes destroyed, 92,542 homes damaged; agricultural areas affected: 25,406 hectares planted with bananas, 686,893 hectares planted with sugar cane affected and 36,249 hectares planted with cash crops.
2. At a meeting convened by the Foreign Minister of Cuba, the UNDP/DHA Resident Representative noted that as a result of the speedy introduction of preventive measures, no casualties or major injuries had been reported although material damage to the economy - and especially to agriculture - was considerable. He further voiced the support of the UN system to the international appeal that the Government of Cuba had launched through DHA.
3. Further assessments are undertaken in the affected areas by the Diplomatic Corps with the Foreign Minister and by the UN Disaster Management Team. 4.
(reported to DHA since Situation Report No. 7 of 24 October 1996)
|Japan||five (5) medical sets 25 generators 140 packets detergents 1,000 soaps (Total value: Yen 11,560,000 including transportation)||104,144|
|Catholic Relief Services||Relief flight: milk powder, rice, beans||no value indicated|
5. DHA is prepared to serve as a channel for cash contributions to be used during the immediate relief phase. Funds are spent in coordination with relevant organizations of the UN system, and DHA provides donor governments with written confirmation on utilization of funds contributed.
6. Funds should be transferred to DHA Account No. CO. 590.160.1 at Swiss Bank Corporation, Case Postale 2770, CH-1211 Geneva 2 with reference: Cuba Hurricane, DHA Geneva.
7. For coordination purposes, donors are requested to inform DHA Geneva, as indicated below, of relief missions/pledges/ contributions and their corresponding value by item.
Telephone no: +41-22-917.12.34
In case of emergency only: +41-22-917.20.10
Mr. E. Haegglund
direct tel: +41-22-917.32.99 or
Mr. C. Pereira
direct tel: +41-22-917.13.83
Press to contact:
Ms. M. Moulin-Acevedo
direct tel: +41-22-917.28.56
Telex: 414242 dha ch
Email: dhagva @ dha.unicc.org