Comoros Flash Floods Situation Report # 8
HIGHLIGHTS / KEY PRIORITIES
• 64,987 people (8% of total population) have been directly affected by the floods.
• 80,000 people in Moroni and 3,900 in Mitsoudje were indirectly affected by broken water pumps.
• The water supply in Moroni and surroundings is being restored, however, some 50% of water is lost due to leaks. Distribution of chlorine tablets is a priority.
• Actions are taken to halt a worrying increase in malaria cases in central Anjouan.
• Activities in the agriculture sector intensified. There is a fear among the population of insufficient food supplies – in particular domestic - during the forthcoming Ramadan.
• Sanitary installations are prioritised for schools (latrines, water to wash hands).
• The early recovery action plan was kick-started with a sectorial workshop on 15 June.