Comoros Flash Floods Situation Report # 1 – 28 April 2012
I. HIGHLIGHTS/KEY PRIORITIES
• Since April 20 April, the Islands of Comoros have been battered by torrential rains. Grande Comore, Anjouan and Moheli islands are significantly affected with water supply, electricity and telecommunications services cut off as well as the market functionality disrupted.
• Some villages are inaccessible because roads and other communication infrastructure have been cut off.
• According to the Comoros meteorological services, more rainfall is expected for the next few days.
• An assessment was carried out by the Government and humanitarian partners.
• To date, 46,139 people are affected, 9228 people displaced in temporary shelters or hosted by relatives.
• On 26 April, the President declared a State of Emergency.
• A humanitarian coordination meeting was held on 27th April with the local donors to contribute to the President’s emergency fund in response to the current flooding