Typhoon Dujuan leaves at least 32 dead, five missing in South China
The typhoon caused widespread destruction in Guangdong province's Shenzhen city, which borders Hong Kong, killing 20 and injuring 98 people, 20 seriously, the official Xinhua news agency said.
The casualty toll was the highest in the city from a typhoon since 1979, the agency said.
At least five people were still missing after the typhoon struck Guangdong late Tuesday evening, other reports said.
The dead included 16 construction workers killed by a collapsing building in Shenzhen.
Emergency workers were mobilised to care for more than 10,000 Shenzhen residents, migrant workers and travellers who were evacuated or stranded by the typhoon.
Electricity was cut to two city districts after winds of up to 160 kilometres per hour brought down power lines.
Dozens of flights were cancelled and ships were confined to ports across Guangdong.
Guangdong officials estimated the cost of damage caused by the typhoon at 2 billion yuan (240 million dollars), China News Service said.
In Guangdong's Huizhou city, at least nine people died and eight were seriously injured, the official People's Daily newspaper said on its website.
Some 730,000 residents of Huizhou and the surrounding countryside were affected by the typhoon, the newspaper said.
Three others died 10 were injured in nearby Shanwei city, it said. Typhoon Dujuan also killed at least two people and left one missing after it buffeted southern Taiwan earlier on Tuesday before heading across the South China Sea towards Hong Kong, where more than 20 people were injured.
Rainstorms have caused floods and landslides that have killed about 1,000 people in China so far this summer. dpa bs pw rk ms
Copyright (c) dpa Deutsche Presse-Agentur GmbH