China typhoon death toll reaches 15, dozens missing

Report
from Reuters - AlertNet
Published on 04 Oct 2005
BEIJING, Oct 4 (Reuters) - The death toll from Typhoon Longwang in China climbed to 15 people and dozens of military students were still missing, media reported on Tuesday.
In the central province of Hubei authorities evacuated about 24,000 people from along the banks of a tributary of the Yangtze River, in what the official Xinhua news agency said was the worst flooding since 1981.

Xinhua said 730,000 people in all had been evacuated to protect them from the 19th typhoon to hit China this year, in the provinces of Fujian, Zhejiang and Guangdong.

The China Daily said that 59 Chinese military students were still missing after torrential rain from the typhoon rushed down a hillside and swept away their school buildings in the southeastern Chinese city of Fuzhou.

State television said life was returning to normal in Fujian, and rail services out of Fuzhou had resumed.

More heavy rain is expected to fall in the next two days in the province of Hubei and the local government is on alert for further flooding along the Hanjiang River, Xinhua said.

The typhoon, which raged across Taiwan on the weekend before moving on to China's adjacent Fujian province, also damaged 60,000 hectares of crops and caused economic damage of around 1.2 billion yuan ($148 million). (US$=8.09)

Reuters - AlertNet:



For more humanitarian news and analysis, please visit www.trust.org/alertnet