EU signs stabilisation and association agreement with Bosnia and Herzegovina
The signature is an important step in the establishment of a stable order based on cooperation, within the framework of the EU's stabilisation and association process with the countries of south-eastern Europe, as well as within the region.
The stabilisation and association agreement is aimed at:
- supporting efforts to strengthen democracy and the rule of law in Bosnia and Herzegovina;
- contributing to political, economic and institutional stability in BiH and in the wider region;
- providing a framework for political dialogue, allowing for the development of close political relations between the EU and BiH;
- supporting the development of economic cooperation and international cooperation in BiH, including through the approximation of its legislation to that of the Community;
- supporting efforts to complete the transition to a market economy;
- promoting economic relations and developing gradually a free trade area between BiH and the Community;
- fostering regional cooperation in all fields covered by the agreement. The interim agreement is aimed at implementing as speedily as possible provisions of the stabilisation and association agreement dealing with the free movement of goods, on the basis of reciprocity and mutual interest. An interim committee will be established with a view to ensuring the correct implementation of the provisions.